When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Daytona Springbars

freddy333

After drilling out the lugs in my 6239 case to fit gen (or similar generic) 19mm springbars, I am not finding them anywhere. At least not at any of the usual parts houses.

Am I correct that the springbar diameter (2mm) and style (single-shoulder) on vintage Daytonas are the same as other vintage Rolex models? Do I have the size or style wrong or does anyone know of a source for these?

Guest avitt

I just took the mic to one. I'm afraid that the body measures about 1.8mm, and the ends are .78mm.

I know that I've seen other members mention that they also drilled out the lug holes on their vintage Daytona cases. You'll probably want to track one of them down, and find out what spring bars they are using.

Avitt -- You just saved my cookies. I tested the hole with a 1.8mm probe and it does NOT fit through the 1.3mm holes I drilled in the lugs, so the body of those springbars (which I just ordered) will definitely remain in place. Unfortunately, I do not have a .78mm probe, but, hopefully, the the pins will not look too small & will keep me in business until I can figure out what the correct (gen) parts should be.

I assumed Rolex used the same diameter springbars on all of their vintage watches, at least for the men's sizes. So it never even occurred to me to check this out before I started drilling. But now that I am looking through my photo archives, it looks like the springbar holes on the Daytonas are a bit smaller than the hole in Subs and Seadwellers. So unless someone (Ubi) knows otherwise, I will leave the lugs on the next (6241) case alone.

I do not know the exact size of the Genuine Rolex bars but I ordered mine direct from Rolex UK via my local dealer for the 6263 and they fitted perfectly witohut any drilling whatsoever. They were quite expensive though at 20 pounds a pair! but worth it. The end of the pin is rounded and polished and looks nice through the case hole.