When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone in the U.K. seen this commercial?

Leifhaus

Cool!

But are you compensated for the use of the master recording since you played the bass? And if you co-wrote the song there will be some sync fees for you as well...

PM me if you need to know some details about music in advertising...

Not sure it works that way in the UK. It's pretty much PRS-based. I've had friends who have been used in adverts and they get hit with a big payout and no royalties.

Not sure it works that way in the UK. It's pretty much PRS-based. I've had friends who have been used in adverts and they get hit with a big payout and no royalties.

I don't know the details of the arrangements, but it was probably like you say, a big payout and no royalties. I on the otherhand get paid $100 a song in the studio (usually a whole album at once), but he did give me a $250 bonus, which went straight to bills <_<

But I think it takes a special kind of eejit to put "I don't like it no, no, no" as a parting message over a visual of the product :doh:

Maybe you never saw Marmite's incredibly successful love/hate campaign. They realised that if you either love or loathe Marmite and there was no middle ground, so they used that as their campaign, reinforcing it to those who love it (usually they had it as a kid and Marmite was trying to get them back) and also saying it's cool to hate it (with an unsaid message that it's ok as long as you realise there are those who love it).

http://www.marmite.com/

Maybe you never saw Marmite's incredibly successful love/hate campaign. They realised that if you either love or loathe Marmite and there was no middle ground, so they used that as their campaign, reinforcing it to those who love it (usually they had it as a kid and Marmite was trying to get them back) and also saying it's cool to hate it (with an unsaid message that it's ok as long as you realise there are those who love it).

http://www.marmite.com/

Skoda used this strategy in their very successful relaunch. Might be a little too deep for our cousins across the water?

I think Marmite is actually a perfect example of why they have got this one wrong. I'm talking specifically about the last three seconds of the ad.

The Marmite campaign is love/hate - as in, people that buy Marmite are supposed to love it.

Skoda had very specific image problems (the brand was hated) that they took head on (buoyed on by the fact that their cars are actually Volkswagens).

So onto....Kingsmill bread. You are supposed to hate the crusts but love the bread. They have successfully communicated the hate the crusts part, but I think it has gone pear-shaped on the love the bread bit. In those last three seconds, when the product has been revealed, and the on-screen message they are trying to convey is "Love bread. Love Kingsmill" the voice is going "I don't like it, no, no, no". One of the 'takes' from that critical parting message is not "I don't like crusts", it's "I don't like Kingsmill bread".

Just my two cents worth.... :winkiss:

heh kids are taking the p*** these days! its just a crust! still, well done for having something on the telly. Id like to see the ad re-hashed with "its just a crust, you moaning cretins" on it though.

Yeah, cutting the crusts off is hard! :p I'm looking forward to the Kingsmill sandwich sized loaf that saves you cutting it in half! :D

Back to the song - how many bands do you think intentionally create album fillers with a view to landing ad spots? Do you know what I mean when you listen to chorus like "what a fun drive!" or Coldplay's latest song is called "Cabriolet" or something....