When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OMEGA SPEEDMASTER MOON WATCH EXPERTS HELP

hey guys this morning i went to my office & A SUPERVISOR SHOWED MY his so called original black face moon watch speedmaster , he took the watch off & i inspected it , 1st it was paper light , no engraved case back , the subdials did work the running seconds hand was on the 9oclock position , the lasrge seconds hand was still at 12 oclock position & worked as a stop watch .

the ss band looked to me very weak & light .

i took of my ETA smp & he held it & said wow thats heavy awsome looking watch ..

i wasent shure if his was a very bad rep , but i was not 100% sure .

im guessing it was a realy bad fake .. but the subdials did work :blink:

oh & the case size was 39mm

can any omega experts share there thouhts thanx ,,

The "Pre Moon" Speedmaster Professionals did only have a very lightly engraved Seamonster on the back. The "Flight Qualified.." engraving came by the early seventies, I belive..

Vintage Speedies also has only a simple clasp on the bracelet. The intricate two-button release has only been around for a few years... 39mm should be correct for the very first Speedmaster..

Check out speedmaster-mission.net, if you like :)

The easiest check is to look for the Omega logo in the center of the Hesalite crystal. It should be visible if you tilt the watch in the light.

The older Omega bracelets were very light and felt 'cheap' by comparison to the later Speedy and black SMP which have similar bracelets. Even the rep SMP bracelet will feel better than a genuine older one. The Speedy didn't have solid links and don't forget that the Speedy doesn't have a diving extension in the clasp so all this adds up to a significant weight reduction compared to the SMP. I have a recent gen Speedy and a rep black SMP and the rep bracelet is very good. I also have a vintage Seamaster 300 with the older braclet which feels crap. I have taken it off, partly to protect it, and wear the Sm300 on a Nato strap.