When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Navitimer Slide Rule

bbell6

I've noticed that the slide rule on my Navitimer Rep doesn't turn as smoothly as the genuine. Any downward pressure tends to make it difficult to slide (friction). This is not the case with the genuine. Do the genuine and the rep use the same design/mechanism for movement. Is it possible to improve on the rep? Maybe lubrication?

Hmmm, I don't have to press down at all to make mine slide?

I don't have to press down either, but some downward pressure tends to get inadvertently applied. If I grasp the bezel and lift slightly as I turn, the bezel turns much easier. Just wondering if there is a way to get that type of movement without lifting (maybe through some sort of lubricant)?

I don't have to press down either, but some downward pressure tends to get inadvertently applied. If I grasp the bezel and lift slightly as I turn, the bezel turns much easier. Just wondering if there is a way to get that type of movement without lifting (maybe through some sort of lubricant)?

Try just a dab of WD40 around the edge and work it into the bezel.

Also there are several lightweight oils out there that should work, but be aware that they also tend to gather dust as well....

I have found K-Y jelly to be a perfectly acceptable lubricant for almost any circumstance. It may even work for your bezel, although it is not waterproof.

Perhaps you should do well to remove the bezel, clean thoroughly beneath it, then to rebuild it with a light dollop of oil? Be warned however, as the ever-so-yummy Aegis has mentioned, it will then gather dust in the oils and will need repeating.

:winkiss:

I have found K-Y jelly to be a perfectly acceptable lubricant for almost any circumstance. It may even work for your bezel, although it is not waterproof.

Perhaps you should do well to remove the bezel, clean thoroughly beneath it, then to rebuild it with a light dollop of oil? Be warned however, as the ever-so-yummy Aegis has mentioned, it will then gather dust in the oils and will need repeating.

:winkiss:

Is the bezel difficult to remove? and how is it done?

• 4 months later...

The bezel on a gen Navitimer has a small pinion inside which causes the inner bezel to rotate at a different speed than the outer bezel. I think it's a 2 to 1 ratio, but I'm not sure. If you look closely when you turn the outer bezel, you can see that the inner bezel rotates more slowly. The rotation is also as smooth as glass. I've lubed mine but it didn't help much. It's just a completely different design from the gen, and I don't think you'll ever get it to feel as smooth.

The bezel on a gen Navitimer has a small pinion inside which causes the inner bezel to rotate at a different speed than the outer bezel. I think it's a 2 to 1 ratio, but I'm not sure. If you look closely when you turn the outer bezel, you can see that the inner bezel rotates more slowly. The rotation is also as smooth as glass. I've lubed mine but it didn't help much. It's just a completely different design from the gen, and I don't think you'll ever get it to feel as smooth.

Since when did the inner bezel? on a Navi rotate?