When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New watch-- What tools do I need?

I just received my first rep watch, a TT from EL, beautiful as others have said and posted. EL was quick, paid on the 29th received on the 5th. Thanks EL.

Now my question, I need to adjust links and would like to take back off to inspect watch. What tools do I need? I noticed Joshua (I think) had a tool kit, is that the way to go for a beginner. Do I need a special tool for the rolex back? Which is recommended??

thanks

Mark

Congrats on your first rep. You picked a beautiful watch and a solid dealer. This watch should make you happy for a long time to come.

Regarding tools, a lot depends on how many watches you think you will be buying, how skilled you are around small watch parts, and how much you want to get involved in such things. If you are only planning to buy a few reps, and don't feel completely comfortable working around such small parts, having a watchmaker adjust a band for $5 or so is a small price to pay for avoiding nasty scratches, time spent, or other frustrations with what is, even at rep costs, still a piece of jewelry that you have invested good money in.

Even if you only plan to buy one or two reps, then some decent quality small screw drivers can be useful. I bought a small, inexpensive set by Stanley at my local hardware store that are suitable for bracelets or watch bands that are held together with screws. For pin-style bracelets, a small plastic device such as in Joshua's kit is probably sufficient. You can probably find one outside for a kit on e-bay or some watch band sites for a few dollars.

Some people place duct tape on the back of their reps and simply use palm pressure to remove case backs. Again, how often you figure to do this will in large part determine how much you want to spend for specialized tools.

I just bought one of the kits similar to Joshua's. The screwdrivers are inferior to the Stanley set that I bought, but the pin tool is OK, and I used the caseback tool on my Omegas satisfactorily. A few of the other tools will probably see some use, while others will not. But that's true for almost any tool set you buy, isn't it? So would I recommend it? Again, the answer is, it depends. If you plan to buy only one or two watches or are really hesitant to get mechanical with your jewelry, then don't bother. If you plan to buy 10 or 20 and tinker with movements, then be patient and build your toolkit gradually with better tools as your skills evolve.

In any case, welcome to the fold, have fun, and by all means share your experiences, ideas, and questions with the forum.

Tmark,

There is a wonderful site that sells everything that a watch repair guy needs - tools, movements, hands, bezels...

Here is what they have to say at the head of their section on watch movements.

Remember, their livelyhood depends on theim selling this stuff...

"If you are not a watch repairperson you have no right or sane reason for purchasing a movement. Before rocket science was a science watches were considered man’s finest most delicate machines to date. Watch movements should not be handled by anyone who is not prepared to repair it or pay a trained professional to find and fix the problem. Those who have never worked with watches before and think they can install a movement in a watch case, without any training or professional help, well you better be prepared to buy 3 or 4 movements or at least pay some one to repair the first one you broke".

Of course, if you would rather take that as a challenge, rather than a warning, go straight to www.ofrei.com

Happy timekeeping!

Clive

Edited by Highflyingclive

One indispensible tool not mentioned previously. A good jewelry polishing cloth such as a Cape Cod. Opening the postal package with your new prize rep will bring a smile to your face. Give it a good, thorough cleaning and polish and your smile will turn into an enthusiastic ear to ear grin.