When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Odd Radiomir

Cats

First of all I want to mention that I didn't do this job all on my own but with the help of a good friend who has hobby called

"watch repairing and watch making".

And of course the help and advise of several member of RWG.

After gathering all the bits and pieces I started "building" my own Radiomir. Now I know how difficult it is when you don't get all

your parts from one source or if they aren't compatible with each other.

The case and the dial and hands came from Tourby . The movement came from an Ebay seller in the US with a H1 cannon pinion.

When we started assembling the watch we found out that 2 pins on the back of the dial aren't positioned on the right place

in relation to the movement ( which gave some more headaches in a later faze )

We took a small drill and made the 2 holes a little bit bigger and voila it fitted. Then we found out that we needed a much longer cannon pinion.

No problem I thought just order one from Cousins and the problem is fixed.

OK let's blame the movement manufacturer who didn't use the standard measurements of the pin where you put the cannon pinion on

but I've tried 3 sets and none of them fitted.

Now I learned how important a wizard is. He managed to make to hole in the cannon pinion slightly bigger

( with a piece of equipment that they use for fitting ruby's in a movement ).

We had to use a lot of force to put the cannon pinion on but with a big bang it did.

Then we were faced with the problem that it didn't have enough friction. This was solved with an old not to sharp pincer ( delicate exercise ).

Bingo now we could place the hands. :( either we didn't handle them with care or they we damaged in transport

or what ever but they were bent.

Using a pair of tweezers would damage them so we used the tooth picks with we flattened for that job.

When putting the movement in the case we found out that the movement clamps were to big .

OK after 45 minutes a sanding and the use of a Dremel they had the right dimensions. Finally the movement was in the case ,put the stem in and close the back on here is the result.

By the way the pictures are made by my friend with a Macro lens. The hair that you see on the 11 o'clock position isn't a hair but a thread of glue from the shiny material that we used on the back of the dial. Fortunately you can't see it with the naked eye.

You might think we a lot of words and hours of work for such a piece of crap but I certainly enjoyed it and I like it what we have build,

but I might be biased.

Regards,

Cats

OK shoot should i throw it away keep it or ........ What do you think ??

Great troubles, great result. I love it -- with a possible exception for how the movement looks, I have to admit.

I especially love the color of the lume. Did you make it? May I ask what color (or mix) has been used?

@sssurfer,

thanks for your comments. Regarding the movement i thought it was a funny and cheap solution ( 30 euro's ) . Next time i will have to get a better mirror efect on it.

About the lume i will have to ask Tourby if he knows what kind of lume it is or if he is willing to tell me his source since a bought the case and dail and hands from him.

Regards,

Cats

@sssurfer,

thanks for your comments. Regarding the movement i thought it was a funny and cheap solution ( 30 euro's ) . Next time i will have to get a better mirror efect on it.

About the lume i will have to ask Tourby if he knows what kind of lume it is or if he is willing to tell me his source since a bought the case and dail and hands from him.

Well, at 30 euros surely it's worth!

Should you find the time to ask Tourby about the lume, I'll really be grateful.

Thanks,

:sss:

i have bought it from other member... he told me it is relumed... but i don