When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Superlume

Anybody available to superlume my SFSO and chronomat EVO?

I want to stand out when i'm hiding in the shadows :lol:

terry tibbs.. "SUPERLUME.. TALK TO ME"

love the avatar man.

It would be nice to know of any modders based in the UK though.

terry tibbs.. "SUPERLUME.. TALK TO ME"

love the avatar man.

It would be nice to know of any modders based in the UK though.

how about I come over there put my index finger under your chin, give it a wigggidy wig wig and then offer you 10 pound for a superlume.

Any ideas anyone?

I was considering taking up modding (not superlume though) but one watch I modded for a friend has gone missing in the post and it'll take 10-20 mod jobs to cover the loss, and if one of those goes missing, I'm in debt for no reason.

Mods are costly to do, high risk and you only end up getting in trouble if you don't have the skills of a The Zigmeister. Good luck to anyone who falls on this grenade for the good of the community.

For instance, how much would you be willing to pay for a relume, Cannon Pinion Fix or ETA datewheel swap?

I was considering taking up modding (not superlume though) but one watch I modded for a friend has gone missing in the post and it'll take 10-20 mod jobs to cover the loss, and if one of those goes missing, I'm in debt for no reason.

Mods are costly to do, high risk and you only end up getting in trouble if you don't have the skills of a The Zigmeister. Good luck to anyone who falls on this grenade for the good of the community.

For instance, how much would you be willing to pay for a relume, Cannon Pinion Fix or ETA datewheel swap?

Personally I dont own anything remotely worth modding, I lurk around here and the DarkSide generally being nosey and learning an awful lot about something that I never thought I would be interested in. My first rep was maybe 18 months ago from precioustime, which has since packed up and in a fit of stupidity took it to <insert crappy chain watch repairer> and they seem to have swapped a lovely smooth sweeping movement out of it for a rather stuttery piece of turd. They did have the decency to tell me that the one that was in it was unusually expensive.. well done PT! so i find myself on the verge of starting a mini collection, but with only suppliers rather than people who can maintain and improve the pieces, i find it a little daunting. And im admittedly too lazy and paranoid to send any abroad for a few tune ups.

I think it is probably a decent market for someone to tap, but like you say, one lost watch and its gone [censored] up.

Its interesting reading the article from the guy that went to the watch market in ghanznaouough or wherever, and realising the modding alone outweighs the cost of the whole piece. but whatever, im rambling because i never post really, its all very technical and i wouldnt know a genuine eta movement if i woke up with one sewn to my eyelid. On the subject of paying for peoples time and skills though, im not a scrooge personally and if they make the watch look more "special" id pay it, i dont know how big a market that is within the uk, so maybe people havent done it as it simply isnt worth their time.

DW.

i dont know how big a market that is within the uk, so maybe people havent done it as it simply isnt worth their time.

The EU market was large enough to keep Finepics in trouble. I reckon anyone that does Europe will clean up, but the liabilities are too high for me to consider it.

Yes, it's a shame we don't have a Euro The Zigmeister to answer our modding and servicing prayers. Finepics did some good work, mainly on PAMs, before the well aired recent history and Palpatine did many of us proud until he bowed out of this game.

As Pugwash suggests, and I think Mark (Finepics) discovered, the work can consume you, particularly if you're doing it on top of a day job. And we as a community are very exacting and demanding: in short, very high maintenance!

I don't want to put any prospective start-up modders off though (I have a number of projects just waiting for their business to open!). For someone with the right skills and sufficient time, there's a sizeable potential European market around these boards.