When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 005

Victoria

Saw Piratedzeus big-upping Trevor on RWI, so had a look-see. Last night, Andrew said the PAM 005s were discontinued. Shame I thought, so when I saw it on Trevor Store, I was elated. Affordable too.

But I'm tired of fantasy watches, so after hitting the search function and finding out Trevor's rep is a little spotty (good comms, not so good if something goes wrong, a kind of Paul-lite), I'd like to ask, what is your experience buying Panerai from him, and is this 005 decent?

http://www.trevorstore.info/index.php?main...9a46fdc66882de2

289908-6012.jpg

Pam 005 Logo Marina Solid Case Back - Asia Unitas 6497

$120.00

Model: SS Black Logo Marina Dial with Strap + Buckle

Movement: Asian Unitas 6497 17 J Manual Handwind movement

Functions:

Hours, Minutes, Running Secs at 9.00 subdials

Dimensions: Dia 44mm x 12.5mm Thk

Material: 1 piece forged case construction, solid 316 stainless steel

Back: Close case back with detail Logo engraving

Crown: One-piece solid pullout crown with o ring

Crystal: Sapphire crystal with light AR Water-resistant

There's also one for $100, and another Swiss ETA one, but not willing to spend that kind of money for spotty customer service.

(EDIT-- Already been told the logo is all wrong, and the caseback should be checked to see if it matches the gen. Ah well. Next up in price is the Swiss ETA, so never mind...)

It's a so-so 005 rep, but then again, I haven't seen the 005 rep with the 'correct' OP logo, yet...DSN's 005 dial comes closest in that respect, IMO.

good points:

- matching G-series 005 dial (L Swiss L) and G-series caseback serial, strip the black paint from the caseback and you have a 'perfect' 005 caseback - so no fantasy rep at all, at least not externaly.

- cheap :)

not so good points:

- no dial lume, whatsoever

- as mentioned, OP logo is still 'too straight' and not great

- recessed cannon pin (however newer Asian 6497 mov'ts come with the higher pin, so all you need to do is 'adjust the minute hand tube to fit nicely)

- Asian E-series movements, but who cares, it's closed, and if it's one of the latest good quality 21,6kbph 6497-2 mov'ts it should be just fine

- Mineral crystal - I know description says Sapphire, but I don't believe they started installing Sapphire xtals on 'cheapie' reps with Asian mov'ts, that just doesn't make sense from the economic sense, so the best is to ignore the description here.

I'd go for the Swiss mov't powered one, piece of mind, Sapphire xtal etc...and then at least relume the dial and fix the cannon pin.

Hope this helps a bit...

babola

Edited by babola

- Mineral crystal - I know description says Sapphire, but I don't believe they started installing Sapphire xtals on 'cheapie' reps with Asian mov'ts, that just doesn't make sense from the economic sense, so the best is to ignore the description here.

BABOLA! I didn't see your comprehensive, and wonderful reply until now. Boy, did I wish I had...

I'd go for the Swiss mov't powered one, piece of mind, Sapphire xtal etc...and then at least relume the dial and fix the cannon pin.

I would go for that too, but for the fact that I've bought so much, so soon. I'm like a crack junky on speed and acid and some peyote thrown in. ;)

Ah well. The 005 is obviously going to have to take a backseat for now.

Thanks again! :)

Saw Piratedzeus big-upping Trevor on RWI, so had a look-see. Last night, Andrew said the PAM 005s were discontinued. Shame I thought, so when I saw it on Trevor Store, I was elated. Affordable too.

But I'm tired of fantasy watches, so after hitting the search function and finding out Trevor's rep is a little spotty (good comms, not so good if something goes wrong, a kind of Paul-lite), I'd like to ask, what is your experience buying Panerai from him, and is this 005 decent?

http://www.trevorstore.info/index.php?main...9a46fdc66882de2

290311-5852.jpg

Pam 005 Logo Marina Solid Case Back - Asia Unitas 6497

$120.00

Model: SS Black Logo Marina Dial with Strap + Buckle

Movement: Asian Unitas 6497 17 J Manual Handwind movement

Functions:

Hours, Minutes, Running Secs at 9.00 subdials

Dimensions: Dia 44mm x 12.5mm Thk

Material: 1 piece forged case construction, solid 316 stainless steel

Back: Close case back with detail Logo engraving

Crown: One-piece solid pullout crown with o ring

Crystal: Sapphire crystal with light AR Water-resistant

There's also one for $100, and another Swiss ETA one, but not willing to spend that kind of money for spotty customer service.

(EDIT-- Already been told the logo is all wrong, and the caseback should be checked to see if it matches the gen. Ah well. Next up in price is the Swiss ETA, so never mind...)

how much dissapointment are you really willing to endure VB .... check out davidsens 005 in my humble opinion if you look at everyone elses logo it is very .,, very square .. the Pam logo is not upright square but sort of angeled ... look at davidsens, then the genuine, then look at the pic you posted... see a difference... that square logo .... ggeeezzzz

Edited by lanikai