When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega GMT

I recently purchased a Omega GMT (ETA) from one of our trusty dealers and noticed several flaws. I really like Omega watches, and this one in particular, but there are few things wrong with it. I dont want to invest too much money in the rep, but something has to be done.

1. The watch has little to no lume

2. Bracelet clasp reads SeaNasty

3. No AR coating on the Crystal

4. Back Cover is incorrect, shouldnt be the Sea Monster, but see through

5. Bracelet contains Screws, not Pins.

Ok, so here is the problem.

The easiest change probably is to order a new clasp from Ofrei as each of the other items in the list require some handywork that I am convinced would be dangerous to attempt or less cost effective such as replacing the entire bracelet because of screws.

or would you just leave it as is, and reinvest any mod money into something else, such as a rail master or the latest PO...

TIA

TB

if you're referring to the degredation in SMP rep quality, I did know about that, but I just got the asian version as a first rep to test the waters anwyays, so I'm not too bothered.

edit: altough fixing the crystal and clasp, if this can be done cheaply, I will probably do.

Edited by ob1w0n

No I was actually refering to how you can expect AR on the crystal and the correct engraving on the clasp of a cheap Asian, or even if you had done enough homework to find out what you can expect to get with the watch you ordered. <_<

Ken

No I was actually refering to how you can expect AR on the crystal and the correct engraving on the clasp of a cheap Asian, or even if you had done enough homework to find out what you can expect to get with the watch you ordered. <_<

Ken

Actually, my watch was from a very Trusty dealer, and it wasnt Asian per se, ETA movement, although they probably are all Asian in some sense.

I saw By-Tors review and remember reading through it, just dont recall when I ordered the watch and when he updated it last to cover the GMT line - just dont really recall - my fault for not double checking.

Then again, how many other Omega reps other than the PO have AR coating, or conversly, how many Omegas have the dreaded SeaNasty...I cant bring myself to purchase another brand, my heart is with Omega. I tried a Rolex once, and so turned off on the bracelet, it sealed the deal for me and I gave it away to my nephew.

As for the Omega GMT, Its a beautiful watch and I am not trying to pass it off as real, just amazing how we can nickle and dime the PO model through 5,6,7 generations, but dont attempt to fix the big errors in the GMT model. I will probably work with Ofrei and change the Crystal and leave the minor flaws as I dont have Glass Wrists for anyone to see the SeaNasty or the Caseback and actually have become a fan of Screws compared to pins, easier to change.

Ken

Yeah I guess you're right, probably not. When I ordered I was looking at pictures of the swiss version as well, however, and it had the same laser etched clasp, so I was under the impression that it wouldn't matter that much. As for AR on the crystal, I thought all that did was make for less reflection when viewing head on, not the internal reflection issue which is left out of most dealer pictures.

So yeah I guess I probably should have done more research, but I feel okay about this purchase, and lesson learned for next time.