When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SMP GMT Problem

hendrixelixir

Guys, I need help. Just ordered a SMP GMT 2535.80 from an as-yet unnamed dealer. The pictures on the website have flaws that do not bother me (solid case back instead of display on the gen, thickness differences, date font...). However, he emailed me and told me he'd be sending a "better" model, with the "correct" display back and upgraded movement. However, he sent me the attached picture. The GMT hand is bright red and much larger and changes the look of the watch. I can't stand looking at this different model.

post-7546-1186512776_thumb.jpg

He said that there were problems with the mov't (GMT hand "slips" after a while"). What does slipping mean, anyway? Apparently, the newer watch has fewer problems with movement, and has the swiss eta case. Still, I can't take looking at the horribly inaccurate GMT hand, so I asked that he not send the new one. He said that he'd then send me the old one. That's where I'm at now.

What to do? I don't want the hand slipping, but I definitely don't want that GMT hand.

Guys, I need help. Just ordered a SMP GMT 2535.80 from an as-yet unnamed dealer. The pictures on the website have flaws that do not bother me (solid case back instead of display on the gen, thickness differences, date font...). However, he emailed me and told me he'd be sending a "better" model, with the "correct" display back and upgraded movement. However, he sent me the attached picture. The GMT hand is bright red and much larger and changes the look of the watch. I can't stand looking at this different model.

post-7546-1186512776_thumb.jpg

He said that there were problems with the mov't (GMT hand "slips" after a while"). What does slipping mean, anyway? Apparently, the newer watch has fewer problems with movement, and has the swiss eta case. Still, I can't take looking at the horribly inaccurate GMT hand, so I asked that he not send the new one. He said that he'd then send me the old one. That's where I'm at now.

What to do? I don't want the hand slipping, but I definitely don't want that GMT hand.

Hi There!

I have not sure the slipping hand problem is what I'm going to explain. But I try my best see whether I could help u out or not: More of the GMT rep are use 2836-2 movement; as Rolex EXPII they're 2 version before: 1.) Wrong-Hand stack model ~ the hand arrangement are from the bottom to top GMT--->Hour--->Minute--->second 2.)Correct Hand stack model ~ Hour--->Gmt--->Minute--->second. Please be remind that the 2nd one "correct hand stack" version is a BAD modified 2836-2 movement; The Zigmeister had did a review of this movement before & it's potentially PROBLMATIC. Several member here report this model have got a slipping-hand problem & most of the factory had already stop to provide the model anymore.

In Gen Omega & Rolex GMT model; GMT hand should be right on top of the hour-hand. So I guess your dealer try to info u that (I GUESS). Which version u going to choose is up-to-u; if u need a reliable movement Go get Wrong Hand-stack model; If u need a good looking & don;t mind the potential problem of the movement Go get Correct-Hand stack model. But I need to remind u even the Wrong hand stack model; the GMT function are NOT ACCURATE. U will found it slow around 15mins after several days. Because I owned a EXPII wrong hand stack before; beside of this the movement is bullet-proof & work great for me alomost 8 month Non-stop (On my wrist or On my watchwinder)

Hope this could help u out there; I also looking for a TRUE & Reliable GMT rep for myself. But until now I haven't find it. Some new release like Chopad Chrono with GMT or PAM Ferrai GMT are use 7750 movement; but I'm still not sure 7750 are really can work as a real GMT movement....... <_<

P.S: I recommend u to study the "Knowledge session"; Mighty The Zigmeister wrote many different movement review Or study "By-Tor" review. U will learn more about watch, movement,rep or even gen

Welcome to the new world; hope u enjoy your hobby!

Best Regards, :)

Raymond

Edited by rckh

• 1 month later...

Thanks - there's some really useful info here!

I'm looking for a GMT to put a 2893 movement into.

But I have a question about the hand stack order: on the 2893, the order is 24h - h - min - sec; and I thought it's the same on the Omega GMT cal. 1128. Here's what Ofrei has to say (somewhat coyly):

"Hole size of the 24 Hour hand is 1.80 mm, which is the same size found on the 24 hour hand used on the ETA 2893-2

Caliber 1128 just might be based on ETA 2892 and the hole sizes just might be 90/150/25/180."

Or have I misunderstood something?

Anyway I gather it's not easy to put rep GMT hands (from a modified 2836) into a 2893 - so I may have to get gen hands? :(