When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

logo PAM 000 & 005

lanikai

I am looking at the logo on the 005 and 000 what is the correct angle... square or slightly angled to the right??

I am thinking angled right.... any tech members know the correct one??

thanks..

The one I am getting from TWP is slightly angled to the right. I had asked him for the correct logo, unlike the one I posted from Trevor Watches (which was all wrong not only in angle, but in shape! Thanks for the answers I received!).

TANGENTIAL QUESTION

Since I'm in the general Panerai area, may I threadjack this to find out where I can get springbars for PAM watches whose threads are worn through? In essence, they are not screw-in, but adapted to fit these kinds of Panerai lugs.

I heard a collector sold it, but the search came up with nothing.

And yes, it's the latest woe to add to problems of the "brand new" Paul PAM 199 I received. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't sell that watch for even a 1/3 of its cost...

V-

They are routinely sold on the bay. Just search under Panerai. :lol: I am too lazy too look. You do have another way out of stripped case threads as relates to the strap holders. Ziggy has used a very specific aircraft epoxy which fills the case hole, forms counter threads around the bar and yet does not stick to it. I have two watches like that.

And the 199 is pretty crappy. It has nothing to do with Paul if you are talking about the one with "correct date font and magnification". By the way it ain't correct but it is better. ;) On that one the bezel is absolute garbage.I am thinking about swapping out the movement and crystal into a better made submersible -m y old school 24A.

Out of curiousity, has anyone taken apart the 199 and can tell me whether the better magnification is achieved with simply a better crystal/cyclops combo or with a second cyclops on the movement?

V-

They are routinely sold on the bay. Just search under Panerai. :lol: I am too lazy too look. You do have another way out of stripped case threads as relates to the strap holders. The Zigmeister has used a very specific aircraft epoxy which fills the case hole, forms counter threads around the bar and yet does not stick to it. I have two watches like that.

And the 199 is pretty crappy. It has nothing to do with Paul if you are talking about the one with "correct date font and magnification". By the way it ain't correct but it is better. ;) On that one the bezel is absolute garbage.I am thinking about swapping out the movement and crystal into a better made submersible -m y old school 24A.

Out of curiousity, has anyone taken apart the 199 and can tell me whether the better magnification is achieved with simply a better crystal/cyclops combo or with a second cyclops on the movement?

I just talked to Angus about this and he said that the crystal is a one piece instead of a sandwhich(like most of the other PAM's) which makes the single cyclops sit in a better place and makes it much clearer.

Respectfully speaking, I have some doubts about what Angus said -- at last on his 'ultimate' 199. The pics in his photobook clearly show a cyclops with a thick white border, that is usually a sign of a sandwich crystal with a recessed cyclops.

Besides of that, a one-piece crystal+cyclops is no better than a recessed cyclops in mag power, rather the opposite. Actually, what critically enhances the mag power is the cyclops-datewheel distance, which in its turn is enhanced by the cyclops being recessed -- not being a unique piece flushed with the crystal.

Last but not least, the only movements known to have an added lens on the movement are the ETA 2892-A2 (not 2893) and the Seagull ST-2530 (aka TY-2530).

I would bet that this watch's excellent performance on the date look is due 60% to the datewheel font, 40% to a recessed cyclops.

Those are just clues, no evidence. Ready to change my opinion if any members who got an Angus 199 should post different findings.

@lanikai: email sent about the 000 and 005 logo (they are skewed, but that's not the only issue).

The one I am getting from TWP is slightly angled to the right. I had asked him for the correct logo, unlike the one I posted from Trevor Watches (which was all wrong not only in angle, but in shape! Thanks for the answers I received!).

TANGENTIAL QUESTION

Since I'm in the general Panerai area, may I threadjack this to find out where I can get springbars for PAM watches whose threads are worn through? In essence, they are not screw-in, but adapted to fit these kinds of Panerai lugs.

I heard a collector sold it, but the search came up with nothing.

And yes, it's the latest woe to add to problems of the "brand new" Paul PAM 199 I received. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't sell that watch for even a 1/3 of its cost...

V..

Since you are getting a 127 from Davidsen, ask him for the spring bars that look like screws ... i got the 24 and 26 mm from him ... the only strap they don't fit would be the SS bracelets..