When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch runs super ... fast

rolexlover

30 minutes in 10 hours, or over an hour in a day...that is extremely fast.

My first thought is that the movement is either dry and not oiled, or the hairspring has two coils touching each other, or it's touching something.

Full sweep of the regulator is aprox 30 minutes...so this would seem to be very excessive.

It may be able to be regulated (the beat could also be out of adjustment) but you would need a timer to check it out and confirm the problem...

RG

Thanks The Zigmeister.

I just demag the watch yesterday and left it on the winder again overnight.

Will time it again later today after work.

It's an ETA movement BTW. A first quick look at the movement , it looks like new.

Will examine the hairspring as well.

Other option is sending it back to the dealer for service or replacement.

Thanks Ziggy.

I just demag the watch yesterday and left it on the winder again overnight.

Will time it again later today after work.

It's an ETA movement BTW. A first quick look at the movement , it looks like new.

Will examine the hairspring as well.

Other option is sending it back to the dealer for service or replacement.

Other than the pivots, there is nothing magnetic in the movements anymore, certainly not the hairsprings, I would not think this is the cause.

If it's an ETA, then I would guess that you don't have a hairspring problem, I have not seen a ETA auto with coils touching each other or anything else, they seem to be immune from this issue as the hairspring is quite stiff. It is probably an ETA 2671, which is a very small movement which needs delicate attention. I would guess dirty (maybe), under or over oiled (could be), or possibly the beat is out, but if it's out that much, the watch should never have started running on it's own.

Having a close look at the balance, note the amplitude of the swings, and if possible checking it on the timer, should help isolate the problem.

I always shy away from sending it back, I don't like the risks involved, or the time it takes.

I would be curious to see what you find when you take the back off.

RG

• 5 weeks later...

Hi The Zigmeister,

I'm having the same problem - I picked up a 2671 ladies datejust at a street market in Malaysia...not bad quality, but I'm presuming it's run dry -It ran well for about a month, but then died (strangely on the same day my son dropped my Pam on the bathroom floor).

It now stops running without warning, and runs about 7 seconds fast per hour.

I've checked the balance spring, and seems fine....even oiled the staff and replaced the [censored] - still no issue with the balance, but it's pretty dead.

I thought I might attempt a service, but I'm not confident enough at the moment to attempt.

I realise you haven't done a tute on the 2671, however is there another movement I can look at that can guide me?

cheers mate,

Best,

G

• 1 month later...

rather than post another thread I thought I'd post in this one. My DSN 177 started running lightning fast today. I'm talking 5 minutes an HOUR. The Zigmeister, this watch was previously serviced by you when it belonged to slai and it has been running like a top for over a month since he sold it to me. I didn't wear it all weekend, wound it up this morning and headed to work, halfway through the day I noticed how fast it was.

Since it's been serviced, I guess the hairspring maybe? I didn't drop it or bang it on anything that I remember, not sure how I could have done that?

rather than post another thread I thought I'd post in this one. My DSN 177 started running lightning fast today. I'm talking 5 minutes an HOUR. Ziggy, this watch was previously serviced by you when it belonged to slai and it has been running like a top for over a month since he sold it to me. I didn't wear it all weekend, wound it up this morning and headed to work, halfway through the day I noticed how fast it was.

Since it's been serviced, I guess the hairspring maybe? I didn't drop it or bang it on anything that I remember, not sure how I could have done that?

Most likely the hairspring has a couple of coils touching each other. It may correct itself on it's own, or maybe a swirl in the palm of your hand while running, or when stopped if that doesn't work. When the watch is stopped it doesn't take much movement to get the coils to touch each other due to movement. When it's running, it's much harder to get the coils to stick to each other.

RG

• 1 month later...

I just got a beautiful 111h from DSN, and it was gaining 5 mins per hour.

There were two turns of the hairspring coil going thru the regulator. I carefully unhooked both, and then reset the outer turn, and now all is perfect, and within a few seconds per day.

Can this king of thing happen in transit?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Sorry to revive an old post but I wanted to add my story. I recently received a PAM 217 from a fellow member that was gaining one hour every four when it arrived..yes, that's six hours fast a day! Not sure if he sold it due to this problem, or if it took a knock in the mail. Anyhow, I tried nudging the balance spring thinking the coils might be stuck...no luck. Then I noticed that the outer coil was not moving because it had actually looped out around the regulator (or whatever you call the thing that holds the end of the spring). It took a good (and I'm sure risky) push to free it and the watch is now accurate to about five seconds a day. Amazing.

There is so much great information here!