When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch always stops at 42 seconds

TheDukeZip

I recently purchased a watch using the Asian 21J movement. When the seconds hand gets in between 42 and 43 seconds, the watch completely stops moving and ticking. It will start back up if I give it a good shake to get the seconds hand to about 45, but then it stops a minute later at 42 or 43.

I could probably talk to the dealer and try to send it back but who knows how long that could take. If this is an easy fix I'd rather just attempt it myself and if I screw up just eat the cost of the watch. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for replying. I have actually gone ahead and made a short video of the problem here

Today I noticed that the second hand stopped at all different times, not just 42. In the video, it likes stopping around 50-51. I am now trying to figure out if it always stops at a certain angle to the minute, hour, or GMT hand.

In the video you can see that if it's stopped and I pull the crown out, the second hand jumps. Sometimes the second hand does not jump until I push the crown back in. Once the crown is pushed back in, it starts up a bit. Also, manual winding gets it going for about a minute which I show in the video. What I did not get to show in the video because my memory stick ran out of room was that once you shake wind it, it goes for minutes to hours without stopping again.

When I shake it towards the end of the video it looks pretty violent but I promise it wasn't as bad as it looks. I don't want to get reamed for shaking my watch too hard!

Just for fun: You aren't alone. I have a shitty Tag rep with 21j Asian movement that do the same exact thing. (Came directly with this problem)

The hand don't touch anything. I played a bit with the movement and still haven't found a solution.. Mine stop at 48-52s :D

Just for fun: You aren't alone. I have a shitty Tag rep with 21j Asian movement that do the same exact thing. (Came directly with this problem)

The hand don't touch anything. I played a bit with the movement and still haven't found a solution.. Mine stop at 48-52s :D

Hi vric. The dealer offered to send me a new one and keep this one for parts. A case opener I ordered arrived today so I am going to open the case and maybe experiment and try to figure out what is wrong. If I am able to fix the problem and put it back together in one piece, I'll put up a little guide. No promises though, I'm not sure if disassembling a movement is up my alley.