When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cartier Santos 100 Two Tone

Chronus

I heard that there was a version out with solid 18k gold. The two tone version does not have a huge amount of gold, so I think it is viable and possibly made, but when asking 1 dealer they couldn't find it from any current watchmakers. and had never heard of it.

Was this just a hoax? A figment of my imagination? Or not made anymore?

If it exists, where to get one ?

Yes Chronus, there is an 18K solid gold Santos. I have tried one on at the Cartier shop in Caesars Palace where I work, $26,500.00, and a pretty nice watch, like to have it but my wife would serve me my testicles on a plate.

They were [apparently] a very limited run a couple of years ago...

Right place at the right time...

TT

PS: Rocket & Ubi have had the pleasure in person B)

Lucky devils!

Rep gold is so unreliable, you're lucky you got the solid gold version. I am guessing you are after a genuine clasp because the rep clasp was plated instead of solid ?

Lucky devils!

Rep gold is so unreliable, you're lucky you got the solid gold version. I am guessing you are after a genuine clasp because the rep clasp was plated instead of solid ?

Not just that it's plated...

But the overall feel & quality of it...

Night & Day difference between it & the Gen...

TT

I agree with the sentiments on solid gold... it really makes a watch. I am pondering buying Joshua $700 solid TT datejust but... I don't want my testicles served on a plate either...

If it's full gold, it sounds cheap. The solid gold Franck Muller Casablanca was going for around $1700 at the time (you may find the odd dealer like Silix able to get it but it may cost more with the falling dollar). That FM did not have a bracelet and came on a strap with gold buckle.

A full gold datejust with bracelet should cost more, just in gold content alone, so I would be suspicious. You're better off getting the parts from eBay or other reputable sellers and get it put together.

There was an ebay seller a year or so ago selling gold bezels for $800... upgrade your SS etc.

You can have an SS bezel cast in 18k @ dozens of places near you for about $400. I'm waiting for the dial upgrade, since I have an OEM crown and bezel screws.

You can have an SS bezel cast in 18k @ dozens of places near you for about $400. I'm waiting for the dial upgrade, since I have an OEM crown and bezel screws.

What do you mean by that? Could you get one done for me ? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Archibald - Email me about this and the PVD.

What do you mean by that? Could you get one done for me ? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Archibald - Email me about this and the PVD.

I'll give you some specific sources when I email you, Chronus, but I guarantee this can be done through multiple sources in any decent sized city. Funny story how I found this out: The kid who owns the car wash I use is fond of bling--big gold pendants, rings, etc--many of which are very intricately designed. One day I'm watching him scream at one of the girls who wipes down the inside of the car, and since I'm always thinking watches I say to myself, "If those things hanging from his neck can be cast, any watch part can be cast." When he hands me my keys, I ask him where he gets his jewelry. He tells me a few places he said did good work and a couple of places to avoid. I went to two of the places he told me about--both filled with tacky cast gold jewelry. Pot leaves, initials it grafitti script, etc. I brought with me an ss daytona case and a S100 bezel. When I asked the guy at the first store if he could cast the s100 bezel he laughed and said--" Yeah, I can do that. Anyone can do that." Basically the same response at the other store. (The consesus on the daytona case, BTW, was sure, but the threads may or may not work.) The process they use for detailed pieces is called induction casting and is very. very accurate. The prices seem to hover around the price of the gold + 3-4% + $100- $150. I don't know what gold is at now but a SS S100 bezel to fit the rep as I recall would have slightly less than an oz. of 18k in it.

Sorry but gold and reps is like Rolex selling fakes...

Indeed, but Archibald's way of getting a bezel cast sounds better value than looking for the discontinued (what appears to be a) TW Best two tone Cartier Santos 100. :o

TT's santos was really killer! You can definately tell the difference. This is why I am always asking him to sale it to me :p

Perhaps you could look into Archibald's method and have your own ... especially as there is a slimmer chance of getting scammed by any unscrupulous dealers ;)

Perhaps you could look into Archibald's method and have your own ... especially as there is a slimmer chance of getting scammed by any unscrupulous dealers ;)

It's something I would give real consideration... there is a seller on ebay that is selling these gold bezels at $800 a shot - probably higher than if you had it made yourself. I may try if I can get some money in sometime.

I think Archibald's advice is the way to go, assuming I can find someone to make the bezel (and the part on the clasp). Why?

Silix are offering 15% off their Santos 100 price... which I think means it is now around USD$ 125 ! I haven't seen used ones at that price... And with an ETA movement inside!

Worth a shot?

Silix gallery link