When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Tag Heuer Aquaracer Day-Date Chronograph 7750

By-Tor

It's engraved and painted.

As for your "budget", maybe you should practice some subterfuge ("oh I traded that one for this one, honest") or even better, apply the gift for you means gift for her principle. Works for me :tu:

Already done this trick.. Why did I sold my quartz Aquaracer 2 weeks ago euh? :p

Another fabulous review By-Tor. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Just a quick note about the case back engravings. While they are close, they are not correct. 2010 is for the black dial, and the blue dial should be 2012.

Wow... you guys notice everything. :) No big deal, imho.

Some of you may think this is silly, but I'd really love to see this watch in a head-to-head with the SFSO. I swap to the Swiss 7750 might make it more of a fair fight, but switching to the ETA datewheels and an overhaul on the A7750 might make it a more cost effective way of doing it. Looks like the case details are great.

After reviewing the pictures I notice that my Aquaracer does not have the CAF2010 marking on the back. What does this mean, if anything?

:brow: Hmmm, from whom did you purchase it? And when? Can you post pics of your watch, caseback and dial etc.. Factory prototype pics dealers used didn't show serial/model nos. so obviously a last-minute production addition. Either way I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Unless you have the black dial, the serial isn't correct anyway.

:brow: Hmmm, from whom did you purchase it? And when? Can you post pics of your watch, caseback and dial etc.. Factory prototype pics dealers used didn't show serial/model nos. so obviously a last-minute production addition. Either way I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Unless you have the black dial, the serial isn't correct anyway.

By-Tor/Doc,

This is my first post(been a lurker for quite some time), and admittedly owe all of you a review of my new Aquaracer which I just received yesterday.

Before providing this review, I do have what I feel is an important question, and was hoping one of you(or anyone familiar with Asian 7750 movement)

could answer.

My sweeping seconds hand does not sweep all that smoothly, in fact, its movement appears closer to a tick than a sweep. Upon delivery the

seconds hand was stationary. First I wound the watch (25-30 clockwise revolutions). Then after depressing the top lever, the seconds hand began

moving as it should, but again, its not a SMOOTH sweep as I had expected. Not to confuse anyone, its certainly not a tick as expecte on quartz

watches, yet it clearly does not sweep smoothly. FYI: The Chrono seconds hand(9'oclock) runs as smooth as could be.

Should I be concerned? Is service recommended?

An admitted novice, I turn to RWG to shed some light on this issue.

I will provide an in depth review + photos soon(flying to the UK tomorrow) when I have more time.

Thanks in advance!

James

My sweeping seconds hand does not sweep all that smoothly, in fact, its movement appears closer to a tick than a sweep. Upon delivery the

seconds hand was stationary. First I wound the watch (25-30 clockwise revolutions). Then after depressing the top lever, the seconds hand began

moving as it should, but again, its not a SMOOTH sweep as I had expected. Not to confuse anyone, its certainly not a tick as expecte on quartz

watches, yet it clearly does not sweep smoothly. FYI: The Chrono seconds hand(9'oclock) runs as smooth as could be.

The seconds hand is at 9oclock and the chrono hand is activated by the pusher, not the other way around...

Edited by spookycord

By-Tor/Doc,

This is my first post(been a lurker for quite some time), and admittedly owe all of you a review of my new Aquaracer which I just received yesterday.

Before providing this review, I do have what I feel is an important question, and was hoping one of you(or anyone familiar with Asian 7750 movement)

could answer.

Should I be concerned? Is service recommended?

An admitted novice, I turn to RWG to shed some light on this issue.

I will provide an in depth review + photos soon(flying to the UK tomorrow) when I have more time.

Thanks in advance!

James

Firstly welcome James and congrats on your new purchase :tu:

Like all 7750-based chronos, the Chrono seconds hand is actually the big second hand that is stationary at 12. The normal time 'running' seconds hand is the subdial at 9, and it is this which exhibits the actual bph (or vph) of the movment, in this being 28,800, smooth as a [insert silk, snake, Guiness analogy of your choice] :D

So your watch is perfectly normal, wear it well.

p.s. word of caution, if you do use the chrono timer (although with these movements, best left alone IMO), make sure there is sufficient power reserve and if possible try to let it run beyond 15s when timing anything ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update:

Me and Doc both received a watch that (probably) had a daywheel gear issue. Our watches had low power reserve (about 12-18 hours FULLY wound). I noticed that the PR was always dying during the day change, which happens between 12-2am. Otherwise my watch was keeping excellent time and functioning normally. This might be characteristic problem for SOME Aquaracer day-date chronos, or just a bad coincidence. PT said that he hasn't heard of any problems (besides mine) though.

I thought this info would be important to know (both dealers and members).

Our watches came from different dealers. Don't know how Doc's dealer will take care of the issue, but Precious Time will replace mine (being a top-class dealer that he is). Actually my replacement is probably here by Monday.

• 3 months later...

I could say I am one of the proud owner of this watch. Got mine via EMS just 2 days ago and loving it. However, as days gone by, here are my few concerns,

(1)Chronograph Movement - The subdial on 12'o Clock seemed to have up to 30 minutes only? (I know its a pathetic question).

(2) Chronograph Restart - The stopwatch second seemed not to rotate (clockwise) again to 12. I mean compared to my other chrono reps when you start and restart stopwatch it rotates on the whole dial back to 12' o clock position. On Tag AR, it just fall counterclockwise back to 12?

(3) Day Window. THe day window seemed to changed only after reaching 1:15AM different from the Date window which is accurate? Is this fine?

(4) Is there a Power reserve on the watch, ie on cheap Automatic reps when you did not wear the watch for only 12 hours it will stop working and giving you trouble adjusting it again to the current time. But on the TAG AR could this also be an issue?

(5) And last thing the chrono (stopwatch) buttons seemed to be so tough, you to press it deeply to work. Is this also issue to other user.

Thanks to anyone who can help me on my inquiry.

The day changes around 2am, it's normal. Never set the day or date between 10pm and 2am.

Also, always try to reset the stopwatch when the stopwatch seconds hand is near '12 (just over it). This reduces the risk of its "slipping".

The power reseve is an individual thing. On some 7750 I've had very long PR, on some others much shorter. It's a luck of a draw, really.

The stopwatch buttons are a bit tight. Very common thing with many 7750-based reps. Just live with it.

The day changes around 2am, it's normal. Never set the day or date between 10pm and 2am.

Also, always try to reset the stopwatch when the stopwatch seconds hand is near '12 (just over it). This reduces the risk of its "slipping".

The power reseve is an individual thing. On some 7750 I've had very long PR, on some others much shorter. It's a luck of a draw, really.

The stopwatch buttons are a bit tight. Very common thing with many 7750-based reps. Just live with it.

Thanks very much for your very informative response (you're really are my saviour). One last quick question, when I saw your wrist shots, I was just impressed on the date window perfect alignment, did you made some adjustment on it? cheers

Thanks very much for your very informative response (you're really are my saviour). One last quick question, when I saw your wrist shots, I was just impressed on the date window perfect alignment, did you made some adjustment on it? cheers

Nope... no adjustments done. It came out like this. The alignment is actually pretty good... not perfect, but not worth the ETA wheel replacement (imho).

Nope... no adjustments done. It came out like this. The alignment is actually pretty good... not perfect, but not worth the ETA wheel replacement (imho).

Thanks for your response.Makes me feel more comfortable, will now attach pics of my toy. Had already removed the paint on the case back by a Cotton buds and acetone (nail paint remover, borrowed from my wife).

post-9730-1198180936_thumb.jpg

Here are better pictures of mine.

As I have mentioned I have made some tweakings on the case back, needles wont work well somtimes it scratches the case so I applied Acetone and use a cotton bud and rub it to each letter.

DSC00807.jpg

DSC00808.jpg

DSC00809.jpg

DSC00810.jpg

Really love this watch. Since it was delivered I never watch any other of my rep collection anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
The bracelet uses the always annoying push-pins for resizing. With all links intact the band has enough length for Godzilla. This was the first time ever I had to remove 2 whole links to get perfect fit for my large wrist

As a potential buyer of one of these (and a newbie to boot!) how do you remove/resize the bracelets?

• 2 months later...
As a potential buyer of one of these (and a newbie to boot!) how do you remove/resize the bracelets?

This Rep uses pins. They're tough too. I had to take it to an indie jewelry store. He complained, but did it for free.

This Rep uses pins. They're tough too. I had to take it to an indie jewelry store. He complained, but did it for free.

I also wanted to say that I love mine after two weeks. The A7750 worries me a little though. I'm just waiting for it to break. I hope not though. I may be just paranoid.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...