When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A new chinese tourbillon movement?

archibald

New 3rd-Generation Tourbillon from Sea-Gull. :Jumpy: Currently the RRP is US$4000 but will certainly go down in the future....

Comments please!

44635-37512.jpg

Dixmont (aka Guangzhou watch works) Tourbillon

44635-37513.gif

:wub:

When will we see these movements in a rep??

I am not sure that this BarndyCurtis is a tourbillion at all -_- looks like an ordinary chinese automatic to me -_-

44707-37475.gif

BarndyCurtis is likely trash :g:

But maybe the sea-gull one is a true tourbillion.....we need more details about all of this.

g. :)

Follow this link to the greatest Tourbillion maker in Asia :)

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=3454

Some description of a simple tourbillion

44876-37442.jpg

Here is a graphical illustration of the tourbillon parts. The tourbillon device has the escape wheel, lever, and balance wheel all mounted in a carriage made of a lightweight material (usually titanium). The carriage turns 360 degrees at regular intervals (usually once per minute). The fourth wheel (not shown) is fixed and is concentric with the carriage pinion and arbor. The escape wheel pinion meshes with the fourth wheel and rotates around the fourth wheel in the fashion of a satellite. The escape wheel and lever are mounted on the carriage, and the third wheel (not shown) drives the carriage pinion, turning the carriage once every minute. This rotation of the escapement helps reduce the positional errors of a watch.

If I charged $2000 for this, it wouldn't make the escapement into a Tourbillion ...

44928-37426.jpg

44928-37427.jpg

That's a far cry from the ebay watch--the ebay watch may be a normal escapement disquised as a tourbillon (which is what I think) but doesn't look anything like the exposed-escapement "tourbillons" in reps like the ones you posted.

But Lollipo's certainly prove there is a central tourbillon being manufactured in chine, and that's pretty exciting. If those prices come down to the level of the flying tourbillon (5-6 franklins) it opens up a whole new world to rep makers--imagine all the gorgeous "tourbillon reps you passed on because the tourbillon was phony?

Maybe I'm a bit nervous, but didn't it scare you to buy a $2000 rep that no one can repair ?

The last time I have read about Tourbillon, The Zigmeister didn't had a clue what was wrong on one he had to fix... Not quite encouraging...

Maybe I'm a bit nervous, but didn't it scare you to buy a $2000 rep that no one can repair ?

The last time I have read about Tourbillon, The Zigmeister didn't had a clue what was wrong on one he had to fix... Not quite encouraging...

Absolutely...not to mention the impossibility of getting parts. But this must be wighed against the addiction which if I saw, say, an accurate Muller Long island tourbillon would be screaming, "Must have this. Now." At 2k I'd probably say nope. But at just under a grand there's no way I could resist.

What I like about the new tourbillon is that it's apparently a center tourbillon which is far more common in high end gens than the flying tourbillon (a gear that runs along the inner edge of the cage) that we've seen in a few reps.