When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Submariner tube question

predfan2001

How common is it for a tube to strip when removed? I pulled one out to shape up the cgs and it pulled the threads out of the case. Does a gen tube have a larger diameter? If so I guess the hole could be tapped and a gen tube installed. If not, I guess the only options are to try JB weld on the threads or just buy another watch.

Edited by predfan2001

do you mean the tube itself or the tube hole on the case?

non RSC tubes are made of inferior materials and the threaded piece that screws into the case is shorter too. these combine to make things like stripping much more frequent. gen tubes will rarely strip.

just for clarification, there is no such thing as an OEM rolex tube. rolex machine their own tubes which mean that the only OEM tube is a genuine rolex one as they are the Original Equipment Manufacturer.

OEM is used commonly on car parts where a company makes parts for use by manufacturers for example. these exact same parts can be bought without the brand name for less money.

i guess what is meant is that the are OEM spec but the crucial dropping off of the word spec is misleading. even this is eroneous as they arent made from either the same material or the same spec with respect to the case end

if its the case, try retapping and using a gen tube, it will often work. if not get a gen tube and no nail or superglue it in there. dont use a non gen tube as the quality will let you down on the crown threads and you will no be able to get it out without playing with heat

Edited by thewightstuff