When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot Big Bang SS Pics

mezzanine

This was the first Super-rep that I purchased, not including the uPO, Tag Link Chrono, or any of the other really good reps of 2006. My first reaction upon seeing it was that I should sell all the rest of my watches and get out of the rep game altogether. It is that good. I've owned most of the good watches that have been produced over the last couple of years, and to this date, it still remains my favourite...with the IWC Cousteau Divers coming in a close second.

It has received some criticism for having a modified A7750, but damn if it doesn't look good. The machining of the case, the double-AR crystal, the detail of the machined numbers on the dial....it is the most striking watch that I have owned or personally seen. I like the steel outline of the 6 and 3 o'clock sub-dials on the stainless steel version.

Sometimes I don't like the way the SS version doesn't offer a lot of contrast between the bezel and the case. Sometimes the 'seams' or lines between the bezel and case sort of blend together, and I feel this can detract from the presentation of the watch. That's the big advantage I would see to having a ceramic bezel. It would increase the contrast, and set the bezel and dial off from the case in a more pronounced fashion.

Of course, the disappointing aspect of the watch, in terms of actual wearability, is the clasp. It is a pain on smaller wrists. Some folks have sanded down the guilty part, some have padded it with a foam material...I've actually used kleenex, believe it or not, and tucked it into the space and have been able to wear it for longer periods as a result. Anyways- this watch was released a fairly long while back, by rep standards, and yet I still think it takes the crown for the best rep to have been released yet....rotor stickers and all.

My photographic abilities stink, but none-the-less, here are some shots of the HBB in all it's beauty:

302861-1037.jpg

302861-1038.jpg

302861-1039.jpg

302861-1040.jpg

Edited by mezzanine

Thanks man...

Yeah, the Cousteau is deceiving because it's a rounder watch with a much greater surface area than the HBB, in terms of the crystal size. They both wear pretty large....I think you're fine if you can pull the HBB. Once you factor in the case size of the Big Bang, they're pretty similar in size.

They are my two favourites...no doubt. I hope to have a couple of others to add to the collection- but I doubt that either will displace the Cousteau or HBB.

I've seen your pics of the ceramic and SS, and the ceramic looks awesome. One day.....!

302892-1018.jpg

302892-1019.jpg

Edited by mezzanine