When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

amature installs after market bezel insert

bought this eta sub from paul over 1 year ago & the 1st thing that happend with the watch is the pearl fell out , no big deal bought this after market bezel insert on ebay & installed it i think it looks pretty good .. :rolleyes:

the insert that came with the watch was a this metal type insert !

this new 1 is kinda like a hard plastic type ..

47795-36800.jpg

47795-36800.jpg

does any 1 know if the original SS SUB stainless steel has a more polished finished than the reps ?

cause i seen some celeberty on tv & his sub looked very shinney like white gold ..

does any 1 know if the original SS SUB stainless steel has a more polished finished than the reps ?

cause i seen some celeberty on tv & his sub looked very shinney like white gold ..

No, originals have brushed finish. The steel used in Submariners have been higher grade stainless (grade 904) since 1978 which is just a bit "shinier" than lower grade stainless used in reps (and most other watches).

It IS brighter but the difference isn't that noticeable, really, especially if you clean up, polish and rebrush the rep band. It was probably just the lighting which played part in that "celebrity show". ;)

Edit: Other people already answered while I was typing this. Well done.

Edited by By-Tor

No, originals have brushed finish. The steel used in Submariners have been higher grade stainless (grade 904) since 1978 which is just a bit "shinier" than lower grade stainless used in reps (and most other watches).

It IS brighter but the difference isn't that noticeable, really, especially if you clean up, polish and rebrush the rep band. It was probably just the lighting which played part in that "celebrity show". ;)

Edit: Other people already answered while I was typing this. Well done.

thanx bt i remember 1 of your informative post on polishing i did it to 1 of mt eta gmt master & the result was awsome ! i kinda like that shinney look !

thanx ! i was going to polish the watch with mothers tire polisher works really well !

but it leaves a miror like finish on the watch ..

You need to brush it again if you end up with mirror finish. Check this one (read til' the end of the article) for brushing info:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=4509

Very nice work, Sub! Much improved specially compared to the older rep inserts. My TW Sub also arrived with the thin metal insert.

The gen Rollies use a higher nickel content ss which gives them a higher luster. I'm not sure this was the case with their vintage models. However, a thorough cleaning and polishing of the rep 316L cases, bezels and bracelets yields one heck of an improvement at minimal cost and effort.

Jet

The gen Rollies use a higher nickel content ss which gives them a higher luster. I'm not sure this was the case with their vintage models.

No, according to my sources that changed 1978. Old models use just standard stainless (whatever the grading is... 316?)

Very nice work, Sub! Much improved specially compared to the older rep inserts. My TW Sub also arrived with the thin metal insert.

The gen Rollies use a higher nickel content ss which gives them a higher luster. I'm not sure this was the case with their vintage models. However, a thorough cleaning and polishing of the rep 316L cases, bezels and bracelets yields one heck of an improvement at minimal cost and effort.

Jet

thanx was fun :thumbsupsmileyanim: