When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Double AR Run

HauteHippie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aghhhh. Just as I got into Professional school and was busy with my first week I miss this. I am about to ship a watch to The Zigmeister for mods too, this would have been the perfect time. I have been waiting for so long for this. Chief any chance?

Edited by maxse

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one having a hell of time removing the existing AR?

I tried 2N H2SO4, 6 N HCL, Acetone, Lacquerer thinner (following the suggestions via Chiefang), paint stripper (the strongest I could find that removes all finishes....2 hr soak). The results have only been scratches to my existing AR coat....the IWG Ti Ingy Chrono and IWC St exp definitely have single sided AR coating. I noticed the my 4th gen PO 42mm does too.

The result that I'm having the best luck with is a dermel with the rouge polish...of course this method is only usable with a sapphire crystal. The coating comes off in minutes :) Attempt at your own risk :)

-bosk

Am I the only one having a hell of time removing the existing AR?

I tried 2N H2SO4, 6 N HCL, Acetone, Lacquerer thinner (following the suggestions via Chiefang), paint stripper (the strongest I could find that removes all finishes....2 hr soak). The results have only been scratches to my existing AR coat....the IWG Ti Ingy Chrono and IWC St exp definitely have single sided AR coating. I noticed the my 4th gen PO 42mm does too.

The result that I'm having the best luck with is a dermel with the rouge polish...of course this method is only usable with a sapphire crystal. The coating comes off in minutes :) Attempt at your own risk :)

-bosk

Good deal. There have been many reports of success with dremel and polish of various sorts... Lacquer thinner and 2/0 steel wool has worked for me. I think The Zigmeister has used high grit sandpaper with success also.

And, yes, don't try this on a glass crystal.

I've dropped out, as I was defeated in my attempts to remove the AR with steel wool and lacquer thinner. I'm going on vacation in 2 days, so I've sent the crystals to K2222 as he will do the AR removal for me and polish out any potential scratches that might have occurred. Were I not severely pressed for time I'd keep trying to remove the AR myself as this run is cheaper and it's in the US. But, alas I cannot, so I'm giving K2222 a shot. Should be interesting because I'll be able to directly compare that AR coating with previous AR coatings I've had done via chieftang (which were all incredible), so it should be fun when I get back from vacation.

• 2 weeks later...