When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Discoloration of dial hour markers - Need expert advise!

perry563

I noticed that some of the hour markers on my Perfect SD have discolored. This is noticable mostly with the 12 OClock marker but all of them if you look close have the same issue....just harder to spot. The markers of course should be white but now have a light gray spotting. Anyone have any thoughts as to what is the cause? Perhaps something to do with the lume?

Maybe a year with very limited wearing. I just noticed it when I wore this watch yesterday to the NJ shore. It was a very bright and sunny day and maybe around mid day I looked down and saw these spots (more like very light gray shadows). The large one was on the 12 oclock triangle but I could se similar but smaller spots on the others.

hhmmm thats strange... did some moisture get into the watch? was the crystal ever foggy? Sometimes these little imperfections give the watch lots of character and make it look more "real"

Post a picture if you can

Lonnie

No...the watch crystal has never fogged up. I have looked at my entire collection of Rolex reps and am seeing this on several. However the perfect SD is showing up the worst. Like I said its a very light gray shadow effect. If you can imagine a white piece of paper with a light water spot on its surface. Thats what it looks like. It does not cover the enire surface of the hour marker.....just the center part. At 12 oclock it looks the most obvious while the others the gray spots are small and relativly unnoticable.

Back in the day when rolex came out with a 'creme' colored explorer what they did is leave a white dial in the sun for awhile (i read in this on another thread here) so im thinking the damage is due to the excessive sunlight, i could be wrong tho

Guest chronomat123
Back in the day when rolex came out with a 'creme' colored explorer what they did is leave a white dial in the sun for awhile (i read in this on another thread here) so im thinking the damage is due to the excessive sunlight, i could be wrong tho

You're pretty much right. I had a genuine cream Explorer 2 16550 and sold it off last year (made a KILLING.) The story is, when Rolex made the dials, they were pure white, and they faded once they were on the wrists of their owners, out in the sun.

Mine was actually the most evenly faded and well-patinated example I've ever come across. Beautiful manilla/cream color. Damn I miss it.

173182-9073.jpg

my collection back when I owned the 16550:

173182-9082.jpg