When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seiko Diver Auto/Manual Wind that Hacks???

I like Seikos but my diving watches do not hack and they cannot be manually wound. Is there a reasonably priced Seiko that hacks and has manual wind capability?

Bill

Uh, no...

The Marine Master does, but it's $1200-$1500 on the secondary market. The older 6105 divers (and the Japan market only 6306 variant of the 6309) hack but don't handwind. Honestly I've probably owned 40+ Seiko divers of various vintages and have never had a problem with any not staying wound, particularly the newer 7S models with the 'Magic Lever' movement. But I do like winding a watch when I first take it out of my watch box and not having to swirl it 300-400 times . Interestingly enough Seiko movements run very fast when not at full wind! The mod of the Seiko/Citizen, who is a watchmaker, explained how that is once but it was all over my head :bangin:

There is a new 6 series movement that hacks and handwinds and everyone is hoping they put it in a new diver instead of only dress watches but there are not even any rumors yet of it happening.

This is part of the reason I sold most of my current Seiko divers off, the ti Samurai is a really sweet watch but not having it hacking or handwindable kind of irritated me.

Well, that's uncanny...I just asked my local watch guy the same question. He is a dealer for Seiko and has the Orange Monster. He said that there is none with a hacking/manual wind movement. That is the biggest thing that has stopped me from getting one. If it was like a non-date sub that I could just put on and adjust the time, that would be no big deal, but it has both day and date to fuss with every time it stops. I just don't see it being worth the effort.

Maybe you could swap out the movement in it to make it more user friendly. If I could do that I might just be interested in it. It's such a cool watch but it seems too high maintenance for me.

There's always the orange Invicta diver, or better yet the original Doxa that started the whole orange thing.

Also, if you're looking for Seikos, I know they make alot of automatic watches that are not available in the US. The Grand Seiko may have what you're looking for but they're hard to find.

Well, that's uncanny...I just asked my local watch guy the same question. He is a dealer for Seiko and has the Orange Monster. He said that there is none with a hacking/manual wind movement. That is the biggest thing that has stopped me from getting one. If it was like a non-date sub that I could just put on and adjust the time, that would be no big deal, but it has both day and date to fuss with every time it stops. I just don't see it being worth the effort.

Maybe you could swap out the movement in it to make it more user friendly. If I could do that I might just be interested in it. It's such a cool watch but it seems too high maintenance for me.

There's always the orange Invicta diver, or better yet the original Doxa that started the whole orange thing.

Also, if you're looking for Seikos, I know they make alot of automatic watches that are not available in the US. The Grand Seiko may have what you're looking for but they're hard to find.

There is no Grand Seiko diver (or Credor or Prospex auto) and GS's are $3000US and up. But the Marine Master does use a non decorated version of the 8L movement used in some GS models and is an awesome watch. I sold my gen SMP auto to buy an MM and never looked back. IMHO it's a far better watch than a gen Sub at less than half the price!

There is no Grand Seiko diver (or Credor or Prospex auto) and GS's are $3000US and up. But the Marine Master does use a non decorated version of the 8L movement used in some GS models and is an awesome watch. I sold my gen SMP auto to buy an MM and never looked back. IMHO it's a far better watch than a gen Sub at less than half the price!

Can you ID a good source for that MM - the only ones I have seen have been for ridiculous money.

Bill

Can you ID a good source for that MM - the only ones I have seen have been for ridiculous money.

Bill

Bill

I got mine used off the trading area at the Seiko/Citizen Forum but most everyone who buys new gets theirs from Katsu Higuchi or k-seiya. Prices are good the the service is superb. I've bought a number of Japan market only watches from both :)

http://www.higuchi-inc.com/index-e.html

http://kseiya.zoovy.com/