When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

183 Questions

AA1

Hi - great forum!

I initially joined the forum because I've been a fan of The Zigmeister for many years and admire / respect his talents. Through hours of reading posts, I've come to admire so many of you for what you bring to the forum. rolli, I've already learned so much from your posts, and vbarrett, your affection for straps is incredible and I look forward to your strap reviews. (My regards to you and your family). The list goes on and on...

I know noobies aren't generally accepted for coming onto a forum and their first post is a question, but to be honest - I don't have much more to offer other than questions in hopes that it will also help others as much as it does me. So on to my question if you've mangaged to read this far...

I'm a big fan of PAM's (surprise) and have a few gens and reps. My very first pam rep was a 183 when they first came out from EL. I liked it so much I bought a gen and now my wife took it over and wears it everyday and I'm happy she gets to enjoy it. I still have the 183 from EL and it still works great but... I've come to want one of better quality but not enough to buy another gen... I've searched the 4 forums I know of and haven't really found comparisons on what's out there. I'm leaning towards DSN's 183E (I got his 127 and am very happy), for the simplicity of "out of the box" instant gratification. I'm American, and that seems to be the norm for most of us nowadays. So, can I get your opinions on why you prefer one collectors 183 over the others?

Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I'm letting off steam today by reading RWG, and answering questions from n00bs and other nice folk. ;)

You do ask a rather newbie question, but here is my answer anyway:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=49596

The Watch Prince offers variously priced packages on modded PAM 183s. I have one from him, unmodded, and I have to say, it's my favourite Radiomir bar none. Your wife has great taste (else she wouldn't have married ya!).

I'd say, if you don't go with Davidsen's latest effort recently updated on 15 Sep., go with TWP.

It's Stateside, it's well-done and even more customised than DSN in terms of service, and the lume is fantastic. I hope others comment regarding other details, who are more knowledgeable than I.

EDIT @AA1: OH! I skimmed over your personalised note to me and to my family. THANK YOU!! I cannot tell you what that means to me right now.

@Followup to AA1 below: To me the dial looks crisper on the DSN models, but I'd lie to you if I told you I knew the EXACT "tells" between one or the other. Remember that DSN basically builds his own models, which is different than modding. Modding can cost a lot, but sometimes guys here prefer that, as it feels more of a challenge to get it JUST right. You mentioned Rolli's point about the lugs. This tells me that perhaps you would be satisfied with TWP's version(s), then.

And yes, the reasons I mentioned above are my opinions of why someone would choose DSN or TWP. I wish I could offer more to you, but alas, that's all I have to give. Boo. I myself look forward to the replies when TWP and others wake up.

BTW, my two gen Panerai watch purchases in future are the PAM 111, and the PAM 183. Those I know FOR SURE I want. They're that special.

Good choice, darling!

Thanks V -

I've compared DSN with TWP and it appears that TWP does take more time in servicing his compared to DSN (I guess) and TWP imo definitely has better lume work. But what about DSN's xtal and case compared to TWP's? DSN has some good xtals... And what about dials?. Rolli also mentions the lug bars... not a big concern though as I think that's something they all have the same. Also the crown tubes. I've read that DSN has a good one that doesn't strip as easily....

I know you said DSN, are the above the reasons why? I think I'd loose out on the lume maybe... the lume in his pics looks pretty good..but gain in other areas?

EDIT @Vbarret: You're welcome - I understand what you must be feeling - I've been there. Just last year in FL to be exact. (I live on the east coast but have another home near daytona and my mother is near tampa). be strong - you have many friends. sincerely, my prayers are with you...

Edited by AA1

All in all, Davidsens 183 seems to be the best offering for that watch from any dealer. No need to fix the canon pin, lume, and his straps are not that bad either. Damn fine out of the box rep and hard to beat.

@Followup to AA1 below: To me the dial looks crisper on the DSN models, but I'd lie to you if I told you I knew the EXACT "tells" between one or the other. Remember that DSN basically builds his own models, which is different than modding. Modding can cost a lot, but sometimes guys here prefer that, as it feels more of a challenge to get it JUST right. You mentioned Rolli's point about the lugs. This tells me that perhaps you would be satisfied with TWP's version(s), then.

And yes, the reasons I mentioned above are my opinions of why someone would choose DSN or TWP. I wish I could offer more to you, but alas, that's all I have to give. Boo. I myself look forward to the replies when TWP and others wake up.

BTW, my two gen Panerai watch purchases in future are the PAM 111, and the PAM 183. Those I know FOR SURE I want. They're that special.

Good choice, darling!

Thanks for the reply and you have great taste too because the 111 and 183 are two that I have gens of and yes I agree, they are that special!

You mention, TWP waking to respond. My wife just came in and told me I'm screwed tomorrow for work (you know what time it is), and she's right - ( I hate when that happens - lol). Good night - get some rest yourself, you need it I know

All in all, Davidsens 183 seems to be the best offering for that watch from any dealer. No need to fix the canon pin, lume, and his straps are not that bad either. Damn fine out of the box rep and hard to beat.

Thanks hambone - the only DSN I have is the 127 and love it - if the 183 is comparable, I know I'd be happy.