When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

new Yachtmaster - nice or ugly?

t

What's with these new Rolex designs? Think about the kind of people who wear gen Rolexes -- or at least the people I know -- they would hate these designs. I always thought Rolex was about understated style. This is just, damn, I don't know what. The new Air-Kings are just as hideous.

It all reminds me of grandpa trying to act 50 years younger than he is, decades too late. Imagine an elderly man using phrases like "Groovy, man!" or "Jive turkey!" and that's what I think of when I see the new Rolexes.

Personally there may be some buyer appeal for a watch that will never be truly rep-able.

This, however, is a very vulgar watch... and I agree, the main design flaw is the gigantic text that reads "YACHT MASTER II." I have to say that if it was between one of these and a HBB (gens) I would choose this... just for the statement I mentioned above! I think Rolex may be onto something... "making watches so repulsive and needlessly complex that nobody will want to or be able to make counterfeit versions..."

I just love being the oddball....

Hate the YG version but already handled the WG version at the AD the other day and I have to tell you it is beautiful....yep...I said it...I love it!

...As they say....Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... B)

It is sad that this watch has been released as a Rolex.

The original YM was a far better design. I don't know what to make of it except that Rolex is coming apart at the seams.

That the older classic designs were the most copied was of course the most sincere form of flattery, and for good reason.

They have even trashed the Air-King, which was one of the last of the classics.

Very troubling.

Carl

read today the new "CHRONOS" watch magazine from germany and saw a report about the new Yachtamster

and i read very good comments :o

are all this watch experts CRAZY STUPID DRUNKEN??? Or has Rolex paid them much money for his comments?

what do you think about this watch here (BTW it is not a $20 canal street watch, it is pic of genuine :lol: )

rolex_yachtmaster.jpg

Too busy, kind of clownish.

"How'd they trash the Air-King? The "redesigned classic" Air-King looks cool to me. The new Yachtmaster is an abomination."

Thanks for illustrating my point.

They trashed the Air-King just as they trashed the YM.

New abominations should have new names and not ape the true classics.

Carl

When you become comfortable with a classic design and the design is then changed, the normal reaction is to resist change. Had they designed the YM in 100 different ways, the majority would dislike every one because it disrupts their comfort level of what they have come to expect. If this watch were a new introduction offering from Rolex, I think the reaction would not be as harsh, that being said, the new design is not really so horrible, in my view, In fact given the choice I think I would take the new design over the old one having tried on both at the AD, and therein lies the difference. When the real thing is in your hands, it is a world away from seeing it in a photograph.