When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Crystals

offshore

In recent weeks, I have been putting together a tutorial on watch crystals, as I have become increasingly involved in their supply.

I had been holding off on running this tutorial, as I was awaiting receipt of a book from Norman Helfand, at Florida Watch and Jewelers Supply.

Well, finally after a few ebay trials and tribulations, the book turned up today.

I can only say, to anyone who has an interest in crystals, or needs to replace or fit a new one, this book is an absolute must.

Suffice to say, I have scrapped my tutorial, as I had only just begun to understand the science of crystals and fitting!

The Book is "The Watch Crystal Encyclopedia", well priced at U$9.95. EDIT: This was the starting price on an ebay auction, I was the only bidder!

I am a little amazed that he does not have it listed either on his ebay store

http://stores.ebay.com/Florida-Watch-and-Jewelers-Supply

or in his list of books at his website,

http://24.227.47.211/

Maybe this is due to it being a relatively new publication, or maybe it is the mark of the man?

post-13-1190258300_thumb.jpg

One point here people; in my dealings with he and his wife Dawn, I became aware that they may well be "old school". At no time did I mention replica watches, and my gut feeling is that I may not have had such a civil reception, should I have done so.

So it may be a point of caution to make no reference to replica watches, or this site.

The publication, spiral bound, runs some 72 pages.

It contains 21 chapters on just about every subject needed to be known on watch crystals, be they plastic (acrylic), glass, hardened glass (mineral), or sapphire.

From selecting, brands available, fitting, cutting, the huge range of styles, polishing, to tools, this book has a huge amount of information.

I had found it increasingly frustrating, to be obtaining snippets of information on crystals, from the various repair manuals. A mention here and there, but no one seemed to even devote a chapter to the subject. Well that is changed as here is the definitive book.

Probably the only thing with little mention made, is a subject dear to a lot of hearts here

• 2 months later...