When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are Rep PAM parts fairly universal?

TeeJay

Or are they as incompatible as other brands often are (like problems with Omega bezels and whatnot)? I only ask as I'm thinking about maybe building a PVD PAM, but want to swap the dial and movement (as one whole unit) with the dial and movement from another PAM rep. Is this likely to have any fitting problems? Would the PVD crown still engage into the different movement?

Thanks in advance :)

Movement and dial swap into any case other than a case which has the same movement will require that you check the movement spacer. The two issues would be different placement of the "holes" where the movement spacer bolts into the case and whether the hole where the crown stem goes in on the movement lines up with the case tube once the movement spacer is installed. If you are swapping it into a case which is set-up for the same movement it may well be fine.

Before you PVD the case do a test swap. If you are keeping the movement, dial and hands as one unit it should be an easy test. Finally the PVD itself should not be thick enough to change the fit.

Movement and dial swap into any case other than a case which has the same movement will require that you check the movement spacer. The two issues would be different placement of the "holes" where the movement spacer bolts into the case and whether the hole where the crown stem goes in on the movement lines up with the case tube once the movement spacer is installed. If you are swapping it into a case which is set-up for the same movement it may well be fine.

Thanks for the advice :) I don't think I'd be able to check those details prior to purchase, so it might be a case of taking the risk, and if the worst comes to the worst, selling them on, or giving them away :)

my experience is that parts for PAM reps are very frequently NOT interchangeable. for instance you can pick two of the same PAM model reps from two different factories and find that the movement from one does not fit into the other case, not only due to the spacer issue (side to side), but also the manner in which the case is constructed to hold the movement depthwise (front to back).

And as MANY of us know, don't ever lose the screws for your CG on a PAM :headhurt: as you may spend the next 3mos trying various screws trying to find a fit... because the machining of all parts rep tends to be fairly imprecise, the guys that assemble them, often have to 'make it fit' ... i'm thinking of how springbars on bracelets are sometime forced or bent to fit in poorly aligned lugs holes, so be forewarned.

my experience is that parts for PAM reps are very frequently NOT interchangeable. for instance you can pick two of the same PAM model reps from two different factories and find that the movement from one does not fit into the other case, not only due to the spacer issue (side to side), but also the manner in which the case is constructed to hold the movement depthwise (front to back).

And as MANY of us know, don't ever lose the screws for your CG on a PAM :headhurt: as you may spend the next 3mos trying various screws trying to find a fit... because the machining of all parts rep tends to be fairly imprecise, the guys that assemble them, often have to 'make it fit' ... i'm thinking of how springbars on bracelets are sometime forced or bent to fit in poorly aligned lugs holes, so be forewarned.

Thanks for the advice. How about parts for watches from the same dealer, so presumeably from the same factory? I have to admit, although this is a rather 'last minute' project idea, I'm rather getting into the idea of it :)

Essentially, I want to put this dial and movement:

438c14d3.jpg

into this case:

d97ede15.jpg

Both watches are from the same dealer. What do folks think? The cost isn't an issue as it's something I'd like to do. If it doesn't work, I'll just get rid of the watches, and if it does work, then even better :)