When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO Crown a bit loose?

jeroen1985

Hi alll,

I just received my UPO and I can only see it is a great watch. Two thinks I don't like is the bad installed pearl on the bezel. When I pull out the crown to set the time the crown feels a bit loose (I can move it a bit sideways). Is this normal??

Thnx for your help...

Is it normal...no, is it unusual for this model or any recent Omega to have a loose crown, not at all. This is a common problem on many Omega's lately, the only solution is to replace the crown and tube with geniune parts.

RG

Is it normal...no, is it unusual for this model or any recent Omega to have a loose crown, not at all. This is a common problem on many Omega's lately, the only solution is to replace the crown and tube with geniune parts.

RG

The Zigmeister,

I have not been able to find a thread or post regarding the successful replacement of gen crown and or tube on either version of UPO. There are several threads floundering with no documented success. They are talking about glueing or custom taping holes for the tube and all sorts of things.

Could you please post the thread where you got your information on the successful gen parts fix? There are quite a lot of people interested.

The proper gen part numbers are floating around here with no problems getting them. There is just no procedure that works. Thanks

Hey guys....hes talking about when he pulls out the crown to set the time.... THEN its loose?

what happens when he screws it down? is it ok then?

if it is, sounds like its normal, because when u pull out the crown to set the time, its only held there by the thin eta stem. which flexes slightly..... no?

correct me if im wrong.

If it is really "flopping" from side to side, I would think that a new crown would be in order. I think that a slight amount of movement is OK but, if it is wobbling about when pulled to the time setting position, something is wrong with your crown.

As to the replacement of the UPO crown and tube with genuine parts, you will either have to glue the smaller gen tube into the case opening or glue or weld a thin sleeve into the case hole and thread it to the size of the gen tube.

Ziggy,

I have not been able to find a thread or post regarding the successful replacement of gen crown and or tube on either version of UPO. There are several threads floundering with no documented success. They are talking about glueing or custom taping holes for the tube and all sorts of things.

Could you please post the thread where you got your information on the successful gen parts fix? There are quite a lot of people interested.

The proper gen part numbers are floating around here with no problems getting them. There is just no procedure that works. Thanks

There is a procedure that works, I came up with my own.

The only procedure I have posted for Omega crown replacements, was on my SMP Chrono. Just this past weekend, I did my first UPO upgrade to a gen crown and tube for someone, as well as a Omega Seamaster GMT crown and tube.

I have done a lot of research and experimenting to come up with a solution that works and is permanent, on the UPO I install the tube like the gen, it's pressed in place. On the GMT I had to come up with something different.

Finding these solutions has consumed many hours of my time (I experiment on my own watches, until I find something that works) and I prefer to keep some of my hard found discoveries to myself.

RG

There is a procedure that works, I came up with my own.

Finding these solutions has consumed many hours of my time (I experiment on my own watches, until I find something that works) and I prefer to keep some of my hard found discoveries to myself.

RG

You made some R&D and for a watch-smith this is totally understandable that you keep your trick/procedure The Zigmeister.

The important for me is that it's a good news that knowing somebody who know how to repair strip crown/tube on these UPO that failed so easily, or maybe, MOD them to prevent an eventual problem.

Edited by magagne

I got the UPO from Precious Time. The crown looks like a bit loose from the stem. The stem feels really good.

If it is really "flopping" from side to side, I would think that a new crown would be in order. I think that a slight amount of movement is OK but, if it is wobbling about when pulled to the time setting position, something is wrong with your crown.

As to the replacement of the UPO crown and tube with genuine parts, you will either have to glue the smaller gen tube into the case opening or glue or weld a thin sleeve into the case hole and thread it to the size of the gen tube.