When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

In Search Of The "perfect Planet Ocean"

Sitting here reading over things again for the umpteenth time and started to wonder if we mixed and matched parts from the different version could we create the "perfect planet ocean"?

So thats my real question, how many versions would it take? or in other words how many watches would I need to buy to complete a project like that.

anyone can walk in and buy a gen.

This is absolutely true - I often wonder what there is to talk about on a gen forum! Sub-forums for walking up to the counter, speaking to salesperson, showing credit card, etc. :lol:

The tricky thing with the PO seems to be that you can start your ultimate PO rep project, and within a few months the goalposts have moved with new reps on the market. I know a lot of people play the waiting game with this watch.

Still it looks great :wub:

If it is a 'perfect' 45mm one you want, don't even bother starting for the moment. There's a 45mm rep case out there but the lugs are too close together to fit the correct 22mm bracelet which isn't available as a rep part anyway!!

The flaw isn't so obvious if you fit a leather or rubber strap, but it is still going to be fundamentally wrong....

I am resisting purchasing any more PO's beyond the 'cheap and cheerful' 45mm Asian I already have. Consumer power and resisting buying the flawed ones is the only way we will force an improvement!!

Edited by r11co

Let me jump in here and mention my personal peeve aabout the 42mm ETA PO.

If you want it on rubber strap, the strap will not fit well. The genuine has 2 sets of lug holes drilled - one set for steel bracelet and one for rubber strap. The current PO does not, so when you put on the rubber strap there is a good 1mm gap between the strap ends and the side of the case.

Also, there are these spacer pins that stick out frorm the middle of the strap ends, in the genuine there are small holes drilled into the side of the case that these spacer pins fit into, I gues to stabilize the rubbr strap.

The rep PO does not have these holes, and consequently the pins keep the gap good and wide, and scratch the sides of the case.

I've spoken to Andrew about this a few times, and so far no progress to correct this issue.

I sold my beautiful PO to a friend who wears it with bracelet, I could not live with the rubber strap fitting this badly.

Let me jump in here and mention my personal peeve aabout the 42mm ETA PO.

Wrong! The genuine PO only has ONE set of lug hole drilled on each side.

Andrew doesn't sell the PO with rubber strap. He sold you a rep strap from some other omega, probably SMP.

That's why it didn't fit well on your 4G PO. It was a gesture anyway.

I don't know what small holes that you are talking about, because my gen po doesn't have the holes. It would sound stupid anyway. Why would Omega drills extra sets of hole instead of making a better fit bracelet, right?

and btw, my genuine SMP strap fits the 4g PO very well.

53556-35866.jpg

Also, as someone mentioned in another thread. A genuine 42mm PO strap fits the 4G PO perfectly.

For 45MM PO, I don't think there will be a good version. The main problem is the date window. it will be too far from 3pm due to the limitation of the movement. It's just like the IWC Big Pilot. They don't want to make a good one due to the same reason.

I am in progress of making a better PO rep, not 100% perfect, but close.

I have a new hand sets:

53556-35867.jpg

53556-35868.jpg

new crown.

53556-35869.jpg

also some new gaskets to improve water resistance.

53556-35870.jpg

I guess the more i look at it and think it over, the more i realize that I will never be happy with a rep, other than if the rep was 100% spot on to the gen, I would always be worried about someone spotting a flaw.

This is unfortunate. I advise you to only wear reps at home as they'll never be perfect, as one day the nearest to perfect will arrive and you'll be worried about an AD checking the serial.

It depends on how much you are willing to spend on a rep.

It's possible to make it perfect, but why would the factory do it?

The factory would make different versions and suck every single cent you have.

Again, if you want perfect, buy a GEN. But I can tell you that even the gens are not perfect. I have heard enough complaints about genuine PAM's imperfect dials and hands...

Edited by cwai02

This is unfortunate. I advise you to only wear reps at home as they'll never be perfect, as one day the nearest to perfect will arrive and you'll be worried about an AD checking the serial.

I'm in sales, and self image is important to me. The last thing I want is a client to call me out on a fake watch. I want a nice watch, but I personally think its retarded to spend 5k on something that gets banged around in day to day use.

For example, the office that I work in, I know for a fact several of the guys wear fake breitlings, daily I want to call them out but I know it would be bad character. Its just irritates me to have someone twice my age trying to flaunt money when in reality I know they picked up the rep (and a bad one at that) for next to nothing. One of them even said to me "Hey check out my breitling" I dang near bit my tounge off keeping myself from going "thats a fake" and walking away.

I do know however, if I pick something up from a dealer on RWG.cc that I would be safe in knowing that my "rep" would blow their reps out of the water.

I'm in sales, and self image is important to me. The last thing I want is a client to call me out on a fake watch. I want a nice watch, but I personally think its retarded to spend 5k on something that gets banged around in day to day use.

Go for something unusual then. Something like the new Vacheron Constantin that's supposedly very close to the gen, or my favourite, the IWC GST Chrono in Titanium. You'll never feel comfortable with a PAM, an Omega or a Rolex as you will assume everyone will assume it's a rep.

For example, the office that I work in, I know for a fact several of the guys wear fake breitlings, daily I want to call them out but I know it would be bad character. Its just irritates me to have someone twice my age trying to flaunt money when in reality I know they picked up the rep (and a bad one at that) for next to nothing. One of them even said to me "Hey check out my breitling" I dang near bit my tounge off keeping myself from going "thats a fake" and walking away.

I do know however, if I pick something up from a dealer on RWG.cc that I would be safe in knowing that my "rep" would blow their reps out of the water.

Pick up one of this to [censored] that guy off

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=4356

:)

To be honest with you, these watches are impossible to notice without a close look:

Omega 4th Gen.

IWC GST

Breitling Navitimer

A few PAMs

VM/MBW Rolex

Omega SMP

Normal guys just won't be able to tell the difference and very few of them will actually ask if it is genuine. If you don't look like a guy that can afford a $5000 watch, people will think you are wearing fake even you are wearing gen.

Btw, I bought a 99.99% new genuine PO on ebay for $1400. A genuine one ain't that expensive.

Edited by cwai02

If you don't look like a guy that can afford a $5000 watch, people will think you are wearing fake even you are wearing gen.

My friends know I don't dress rich, but they assume I'd have an expensive watch. I'm not rich, but I'm well enough paid and can carry off a rep as a genuine: It's all down to confidence. If you assume they're checking your watch for flaws to call you out, you'll show it. If you assume they're oggling your fancy watch because it's fancy, that too will show.

navitimer reps are not spot on in my opinion, the date will shows it.

I would wear a IWC, but my partner in the office has a gen IWC titanium, along with a gen rolex, and a gen bentley navitimer.

i'm going to just hold off and get the real deal, or find a generic version of the watch style I like. I've been looking at navitimer styled watches and I think i'm just going to go down that route.

For 45MM PO, I don't think there will be a good version. The main problem is the date window. it will be too far from 3pm due to the limitation of the movement.

This isn't really a problem at all. All Omega watches that come mid-size and full size versions have this characteristic where the date window will be further from the 3 o'clock marker on the full size face.

This is because the movements are generally identical in both versions. In fact the mid-size SMPs dispense with the 3 o'clock marker completely because of this trait!