When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I hate when this happens

Nanuq

Poor guy gets a 6263 from his wife as a gift, posts photos at TZ and then finds out it's a rep.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/review.html?id=2087166567

It looks to me like one of those 2 super Daytonas DW had a couple weeks ago. Incabloc out the wazoo.

Poor guy.

Corgi -- It is just a stock V72 (you can tell because the movement has Incabloc shock protection instead of the Kif shock absorber that Rolex always retrofitted) culled from another non-Rolex chrono that had a couple of Rolex-engraved bridges added. I have some of these bits as well (for use on one of my DW Daytonas), but I do not post pictures of any of my watches--rep or gen--on TZ

v72RolexchronobridgefromPhong.jpg

Actually, Dinh and others also offer Kif shock absorber replacement bridges and appropriate-looking Rolex branded 'V727' pillar plates here. And if I remember correctly, I think the 2 Daytonas that DW had for sale were also configured this way. But if you know what to look for, you can still tell these reps from the gen articles.

Incabloc and Kif are the 2 vendors that supply most of the (escape wheel) shock absorption components for mechanical movements. Kif is generally considered to be inferior to Incabloc, and this has been the source of some debate since Rolex sources their shock components from Kif.

The component's function is a bit complicated, but, basically, the escape wheel (the tiny wheel containing the hairspring you see revolving back-and-forth in a mechanical watch) pivots on a central staff that is seated in between 2 jewels (used to reduce friction)

escapewheel.jpg

(this is a picture of an escape wheel removed from a movement (the jewels are not shown))

If the movement (watch) is dropped or suffers a sudden deceleration, the pivots, which are relatively delicate, can be bent, broken off or damaged. The shock absorber basically allows the pivots to 'float' a bit in an effort to absorb the shock and reduce damage to them. The tiny spring you see above the top jewel (the ruby colored part you see in the center of the following photo) returns the pivots to their neutral position after the shock subsides

incablocspring.jpg

(This is an Incabloc shock absorber)