When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 111h Problem

mhemm

Hello all

I recently received my first PAM rep from Andrew, and let me say that it is gorgeous. However, I have noticed one problem. When the time gets to around 9:00 (usually at 8:16) the watch simply stops. If you move the hour hand out of the way, the watch will continue to tick. It seems as though the second hand gets caught up when it passes under the hour hand from time to time. My question is if this is a repair that I can do myself (I have no experience in taking apart watches) or if I should contact the seller. Again, I love this watch and would like to not part with it if at all possible :wub: .

Thanks guys

Hello all

I recently received my first PAM rep from Andrew, and let me say that it is gorgeous. However, I have noticed one problem. When the time gets to around 9:00 (usually at 8:16) the watch simply stops. If you move the hour hand out of the way, the watch will continue to tick. It seems as though the second hand gets caught up when it passes under the hour hand from time to time. My question is if this is a repair that I can do myself (I have no experience in taking apart watches) or if I should contact the seller. Again, I love this watch and would like to not part with it if at all possible :wub: .

Thanks guys

If you have not tackled this sort of thing before I would advise to leave it to someone who has due to the risk of scratching the dial and ruining the watch. There are special tools required (although not essential) as you will need to remove the movt from the case and possibly remove the hands and re-fit them. It may be that the second hand is high on it's post or the hour hand is too deep on it's wheel or bent down at the tip.

I had that problem on a Silix bond sub. I just took off the hands, bent them a bit and re-seated them. It's been fine ever since (6 months ago). I did have things like hand removers, tweezers, rodico, pegwood etc. and the watch only cost 60USD, but was a great excuse to get into the case and do something productive.

That was my first real surgery on a watch and it was quite satisfying. I have since re-lumed the thing with a bit of oil paint added for vintage effect.

If you are inclined to that kind of thing, I'd recommend doing it yourself....well...maybe not on that watch. I'd hate to scratch or lose something.

I guess the bottom line is, if you are good with your hands, and a bit adventurous, it's a quick fix which isn't too hard to do.