When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TWP 'Plume'

TWP

Dear All

Tonight I just assembled four watches and would like to share with you the 'plume' experience. I wasted over 70 dials and $400 in lume trying to get this right. This is a mixture of 5 different lumes each picked for their unique qualities. The color when dry is off white.

Cheers

TWP

Side by side

111h and 112H

Watches-001.jpg

Watches-005.jpg

Watches-007.jpg

Okay here is were it really gets interesting so you can visually see the difference. The PVD has been coated with just C1. The mini plume.

Watches-004.jpg

Watches-008.jpg

Watches-010.jpg

Edited by TWP

Your kidding right? 70 dials, and $400 in lume...

It looks like Tritec C1 and C3 mixed together, I must be missing something...

RG

Wish I were kidding. Nope little bit more than C3/C1 . C5 also, GU8F, and one more key ingrediant.

Cheers

TWP

Well considering that the genuine manufacturs use Super Lume, simply because it's the best there is, it continues to amaze me that people can mix up super lume, with other secret ingredients, call it a special name, and come out with something better than the scientists can, who work at RC Tritec in the lab. Wouldn't you think they would have come up with it already?

Wasting 70 dials (at $30 or so each would be $2100), and $400 of lume, sounds a bit far fetched to me, but then again I have always been a bit of a skeptic when something is claimed to be better than what companies like RC Tritec have spend Millions developing.

RG

Well considering that the genuine manufacturs use Super Lume, simply because it's the best there is, it continues to amaze me that people can mix up super lume, with other secret ingredients, call it a special name, and come out with something better than the scientists can, who work at RC Tritec in the lab. Wouldn't you think they would have come up with it already?

Wasting 70 dials (at $30 or so each would be $2100), and $400 of lume, sounds a bit far fetched to me, but then again I have always been a bit of a skeptic when something is claimed to be better than what companies like RC Tritec have spend Millions developing.

RG

The Zigmeister

I am not here to get into any kind of pissing contest to with you. FYI, dials only cost me $5.00 usd mate, and hand set $6.00 usd. It is a well known fact that some people use C3/C1/GU8F together and that has produced excellent results. Now whats the problem with taking those three and adding two more <_<

And if you have read my post I have never claimed that my lume is better than theirs. Of course it is not, all I am trying to do is to get the most accurate color while not sacrificing the lume. Every modder has wasted dials when they just started out. And believe me i have wasted double that learning how to lume sausage dials.

Oh, besides some other modders call their lume special names, but for heavens sake when I do it I am ostricized. Would you like a picture of most the dials I have destroyed?

Cheers

TWP

Edited by TWP

Ziggy

I am not here to get into any kind of pissing contest to with you. FYI, dials only cost me $5.00 usd mate, and hand set $6.00 usd. It is a well known fact that some people use C3/C1/GU8F together and that has produced excellent results. Now whats the problem with taking those three and adding two more <_<

And if you have read my post I have never claimed that my lume is better than theirs. Of course it is not, all I am trying to do is to get the most accurate color while not sacrificing the lume. Every modder has wasted dials when they just started out. And believe me i have wasted double that learning how to lume dials.

Oh, besides some other modders call their lume special names, but for heavens sake when I do it I am ostricized. Would you like a picture of most the dials I have destroyed?

Cheers

TWP

No pissing contest from me either, however I do have a lot of experience with lume, especially Super Lume and it's qualities and application. I have been using it for close to 3 years now, and I like to think RC Tritec has done their homework. I have yet to see anything that comes close to SL for glow brightness or quality.

Yes everyone wasts dials while learning, but your already a competent lumer aren't you? which is why the 70 dials seems a tad excessive. Why not just scrape the old lume off and re-apply your test lume instead of wasting dials?

Yes other modders have come up with monikers for their lume, but why can't we just get back to calling a spade a spade?

I am sure you can recoupe some of the dial spoilage by selling them off to the members on RWG.

Cheers

RG

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha... :lol:

Actually, I think I read somewhere that RC Cola makes their drink my simply mixing Coke and Pepsi in very strict proportions. ;)

Awesome :) I found a 75/25 Pepsi/Coke mix the best, as it kept the taste and sweetness of the Pepsi, but with a little extra kick :) (I prefer Pepsi to Coke normally)

No pissing contest from me either, however I do have a lot of experience with lume, especially Super Lume and it's qualities and application. I have been using it for close to 3 years now, and I like to think RC Tritec has done their homework. I have yet to see anything that comes close to SL for glow brightness or quality.

Yes everyone wasts dials while learning, but your already a competent lumer aren't you? which is why the 70 dials seems a tad excessive. Why not just scrape the old lume off and re-apply your test lume instead of wasting dials?

The Zigmeister with alll due respect you are one of the best modders around, but this mate is how you waste seventy dials. I am speaking about events that have happened within the last six months.

When I first started out i thought doing a sandwich dial meant sticking a fine tipped oiler into the groove and doing it that way. Stupid, perhaps, naive yes. You can imagine how many dials I ruined doing it like this. The whole time I took notes on what lume mixtures I used.

Once I found out you could seperate the dials, duh, sandwich, Then I realized wow this is going to be simple. So instead of removing the old numbers I would relume much like a sausage at this point the existing numbers. Wow that looks great and now put the top plate back on while the binder is still wet. Well needless to say did not work out.

Okay then i started going to one really think coat of lume. And let me remind you the whole time I am trying new mixtures. Thick coat looked great. Only problem, the damn running seconds hand would not seat, and by this time dial is shot to [censored].

Also all dials i put on thick i used super glue. No, no, no. Big no noRuined the top surface of many dials just trying to get the damns things back together again.

Finally, what a logically person would have done first was make two observations, the pre thickness of sandwhich dials and the height of the cannon pinion. So I have worked myself all ass backwards doing this. So to say that I am an accomplished lumer, yes I am. To say that I am within your league. Hell no and for obvious reasons. Perhaps with three years under my belt I just might get there ;)

Moral of the story your probably right The Zigmeister. I could have used more tact when wording my initial statement of, "wasting seventy dials to perfect this". To something like after luming 70 dials this is what I have come up with and this is what works best for me.

Cheers

Hope there is no bad blood man.

Thanks

TWP

No bad blood at all.

The way it was written told me that you sat down at the bench the other day, trying to come up with a special mixture, and over the next few days, messed up 70 dials...which is why it seemed so unbelievable... 70 dials over 6 months is understandable, although that is a lot of dials...

Yes there is a lot to luming, my only advantage (and only a slight one at that) is that I have been painting with oil paints for almost 30 years. Oil painting and luming (although on different scales) is sort of the same. BUT, I ruined my share of dials, from my own watches, when I started out. And, 2.5 years ago, there were no suppliers of spare dials, or spare anything else for that matter.

Luming is an art, watchmaking is a skill. Movements can only go together one way, either you get it right, or you don't. If you get it right, no one can tell that you may have messed up along the way (even if you break something, since you can replace it). Luming on the other hand, is totally unforgiving, and you get one shot, get it wrong, and your screwed, there is no way to make up for the mistake. You can't replace or correct many of the errors, except by replacing the dial with a new one.

If your buying dials for less than $10 each, your getting a hell of a deal, I can't buy them for that price.

For me though, using the plain RC Tritec Super Lume is all I will do, since I have not found anything that performs better. Sometimes it's better to just stick with what works.

RG