When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I've got gold plated paranoia!

anton

As the 'ristis' who also read the discussion section; many of you know that I've also written a review on the Ferrari 006; The Rose Gold plated model of the 004 SS.

I absolutely love the watch. Personally, it puts the HBB and its' 500+ price tag to shame. But that's not the issue. My issue is this:

Who has had experience with gold plated watches? Tarnish ability? Cleaning?

I'm paranoid that If I clean it or wear it and then sweat, the plating would wear off! Funny thing is that if I purchased a gold plated gen, I wouldn't worry about this.

If you buy a watch to keep, it is generally best to avoid gold reps since the 'plating' is thin (no matter what marketing hype the seller uses to try to convince you otherwise) and usually wears off before the watch requires normal servicing. Sometimes it lasts for a couple years and sometimes it lasts a couple of weeks. It depends on the quality of gold, how well the plating was applied & how often you wear the watch (the oil in your skin slowly deteriorates the plating).

I've had a two tone Sub for a couple of years now with no problems, but I've only worn it 15 or 20 times. I don't thing I'd ever get a full gold rep, and I wouldn't wear a plated watch on a daily basis. I don't trust the process enough. But for an occasional watch, it's probably okay.

I have a full-gold day-date. Yes, it peels BUT it will peel on the "inside" and will be unnoticeable during normal wear. And by peel here I do not mean that it literally comes off in giant shards but rather little dark grey patches start to appear... almost looks like dust.

The 15mil 14K gold is heaps tougher than the 5mil 18K the mega-dealers sell... I believe that it is a safe investment in the long run so long as you get it on a leather strap. The bracelet ones are a little bit more annoying, as it will peel, and it will disappoint.

I say that if you like this watch you should definitely get it because in my experience the movement will die before you even notice gold coming off... just like what happened with my poor day-date...

Although I would not use it as a daily wearer remember that you can always get it replated if you still love it and the gold has started to wear away. The good news is that it is most likely to wear away either on the wrist where you sweat or the crown from touching it so you will notice it before it gets embarassing. I never wear my gold reps (and haven't bought one in years) because the gold color is usually way off. If the gold plating actually matches up well with the gen consider yourself lucky.

If you like the watch, just buy it.

I have my own favorite and present it here. Yes, it's just a plated rep and I only wear it to weddings and funerals.

At that rate it will never wear through and be a problem. Luckily it has been more weddings recently.

post-180-1191642773_thumb.jpg

Just have some fun with it.

Carl

I agree with what has already been posted, which is that when dealing with gold plating on a replica:

1) that watch gets very limited wrist time, and

2) when finished wearing it, it gets wiped down with a microfibre cloth to get rid of any sweat or skin oils

Truthfully, it was never much of a problem, really, because the only watch I have that has a lot of gold is a gold Daytona, black dial, on a brown leather band, and that watch wasn't the best rep there's ever been anyway (was from years ago, before these sites and before there were such fine repicas), so I don't wear it often.

But now, now it might be a problem, because while I really don't go much for gold usually, I've think I've found an exception in that Chopard Mille Miglia GMT Chrono, gold with white dial, black subdials...I'm that close to pulling the trigger on that one over the stainless version, but concerned about the gold also....my thinking is that since the strap is rubber, I only have to be concerned with the back and the crown, so might as well, but still, I'm wary of the gold as well

There is a post on the Dark Side about the Rose Gold on the IWC St Exupery Chronograph.

"Concerning the RG plating.

"The rose gold won't fade.....it's not gold plating....it's PVD finsih.....I've had my radiomir 213 for 18 months...regular wear and it's showing no signs of fading.....same for an 8 days that I have had for longer......!"

This is a quote by TTK - he has really some knowledge about reps so I believe he is not making this up."

That is if all of the rose gold finishes are the same, who knows right! But if it is a PVD finish there should be no worries.

True about the rose gold plating. It is a very tough finish. My RG plated watches have been worn through excercise, sweat and heat, no change at all. The Hublot BB rose gold seems particularily resiliant. No need for paranoia of this kind.

True about the rose gold plating. It is a very tough finish. My RG plated watches have been worn through excercise, sweat and heat, no change at all. The Hublot BB rose gold seems particularily resiliant. No need for paranoia of this kind.

That's interesting to note... :D