When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Shaving the CG

UB7

Hey guys, figured I might as well ask before I walk over to my equipment / storage house on my farm and actually commence. But what are some methods of shaving the CG, specifically on my sub...I have 2 wheels which I use to sharpen/buff my knives, and equipment and when you dont apply wax to the wheel it can grind down and sharpen metal pretty well, ive crafted tons of knives on this wheel and it works excellent when done properly, i've been doing it for years so I am pretty competent in using the thing, how ever in terms of precision its probbably not as good as a simple dremel.

paper.JPG

Curious to see if any members have some tips for me, what do you use as a guideline to how much should be shaved off? Any tips, tricks, methods I should be aware of before I start?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

-David

Hand files and some artistic "eye". But you have to know how to release the crown & the stem.

HERE is a brilliant article to read... by bklm1234.

I once modified the outsides of my MBW Tudor Sub. Check that article too.

I tried to find some photos of Pugwash's 1680 project... but I'm not sure if he posted a cg modification tutorial.

I tried to find some photos of Pugwash's 1680 project... but I'm not sure if he posted a cg modification tutorial.

It seemed superfluous. :D

All I can say is that it's not hard. I used jeweller's files, fine sandpaper and a dremel polishing wheel with jeweller's rouge.

If you're replacing the tube, get the face you put the tube in flattened behind the bezel.

Gen, gen, rep before work. See the visible metal between the CGs that should be hidden by the bezel?

cgs-reference-1.jpg

Once I've had a lot more practice, I think I could easily get good at it. Here's my modded 1680.

1680-03-640.jpg

1680-04-640.jpg