When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone have pocket watches? I'd like to see them!

lanikai

As a Kid I had a facination with pocket watches ... nobody used them exept in the movies ie. Westerns ... maybe that's where it came from... but I would like to see your Pocket watches and whatever history- knowledge you have of them .. I believe it started in the 1600's ..

The glory days of the pocket watch came in the 19th century. Watchmakers such as Ulysse Nardin, Minerva, Heuer, IWC, and many others became established in this period. The quality and craftsmanship was further refined during this era, as they were beginning to be produced on an industrial scale. The introduction of the crown winder was also introduced around this period.

By the early 20th century things changed for the watchmakers, certificates were issued to those who created the best design and precision pocket watch. Unfortunately, we began to see their popularity rapidly fading as wristwatches were becoming more and more popular. Although pocket watches are not used as much today, the old antique pocket watch of years gone by played an important role for many centuries. **from "The History of Pocket Watches"

thank you ,

Lanikai

Here's one from my old man's collection: Solid gold Borel Nuchatel with Breguet balance wheel. A gift from the French Embassy to my great grandfather. Nice one, I photographed this last January.

186736-5712.jpg

186736-5713.jpg

186736-5714.jpg

186736-5715.jpg

186736-5716.jpg

WOW.... unbelievable .. thank you

is that blue on the screws original or the patina?

those hands ar exquisite and the simplicity of the movement.. did F.A. Jones invent the "needle" ?

truely an artistic work of art that has never grown "old" through the ages..

Thanks man. No, those screws are blue, and everything in the movement is original. That's what I've been told. I kept this watch for a week and the tick was loud as a bomb. :lol: It kept absolutely perfect time and the power reserve was excellent.

My father has quite impressive collection of gens (Rolexes, IWC's, Glashuttes, etc.) but unfortunately I see him very rarely as he works and lives in another country. I'd love to shoot more of his watches.

August 25 1st scheduled passenger service by airplane (Paris-London) the year of our Lord 1919

this is one part of History when your Rolex was made RL ...... 1919

thank you ... simple beauty

The only portrait in which Napoleon cozens up to a time piece is an 1812 portrait of the then emperor in his study, where a wall clock, just hanging off his left shoulder, reads 4:00 a.m., certainly suggestive that he was conscious of the importance of the passing hours.

With or without a Brequet time piece immediately accessible to him, Napoleon, as military strategist, knew that success in battle depended on both space and time.