When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I got offered an Internship, actually two...

Viennawatch

Well yes, the title really speaks for itself.

I have been offered two internships. One in Guangzhou, China and the other in Shenzhen, China.

Both are very close to Hong Kong from what I have just shortly read on some google pages, Shenzhen is actually VERY close to Hong Kong. Now the icky part is choosing the internship.

The one in Guangzhou is with a language school that teaches Mandarin and other Chinese languages to foreigners, but I wouldn't exactly teach. I'd work in marketing production on certain projects related to marketing of the company for about 6 months. The pay is very low... 2000 RMB and free mandarin lessons. Please note that Marketing production would be something I'd really be interested in. Marketing production and brand management, this is something I'd be interested in following a path in for my future.

The second internship in Shenzhen is with a company called AEE which produces wireless network solutions and certain other security devices, etc... Unfortunately they weren't very specific in their job profile. Now although marketing is my field of interest, all they put up was marketing and sales and I have a bad feeling that I may just be sitting there to do cold calls 24/7. Something I do not want to do because I had that experience in prior internship in India... Sucked ass. However they DO offer 3000 RMB a month, a free apartment inclusive of utilities and lunch. The pay just sounds more appealing however, pay is not always anything, especially if I am aiming at an internship

I will give it some time to think, most probably until Monday and then email both companies asking them a little more about what I would be doing, more detail specific. I don't want to end up in a company and realize after a few weeks that I want to resign. lol... Besides... Austria and China are not really close either for me to just buy a ticket and realize it sucks...

Obviously, I can make the decision on my own, but some advice on either Guangzhou and/or Shenzhen would be great for any people who DO live there or have traveled there recently would be great. Whats life like there? Are they both semi-advanced cities? I lived in Gurgaon, India (25k south of Delhi) which was considered advanced for India and I hated it there, even Delhi in my opinion sucked... Infrastructure was a real problem. Some places had no roads or what seemed like roads, power cuts, water cuts, poor telecommunications system... This is the sort of stuff I'd like to uncover.... Yes I know, East Asia may never be like Europe, but I don't want to move backwards into the cave era if you know what I mean... For example, I love Bangkok and Shanghai!

Some advice from people who work in marketing production or have work related to it as well would be great. You know whats its like, what I can expect...

With sooo many members on this forum, I'm bound to find a few people who know what I need!!!! :lol:

I will add more updates when I find out about these two jobs on Monday or Tuesday!

Until then, keep the posts rolling! ;)

Regards,

VW

PS. I may go for neither internships... but anything to help make the decision easier would be great! ^_^

Edited by Viennawatch

I would think almost anything is better than india....no offence intended...but that is one crowded, smelly, crazy country...at least with the Chinese internships...you will get language training which would be a huge bonus...think of your marketability with that on you CV...

but what do I know...'course, its prolly a little colder there than india...and I'm sure the food in india is better...pass the naan please...if you like crazy bkk and shanghai then I would think the positions in china would be a lot closer to some R & R in those funtowns...

best of luck...

Gaungzhou is a very overcrowded sweat hole of a town, it is however the heart of the rep world but you are not going to be buying much on 2000RMB a Month which is only about 267USD.

Shenzhen on the other hand is a beautiful city and of course there is the little better pay.

Ken

I've heard India has areas that are disgusting with effects of the caste system, but it is a huge country and has a fascinating culture.

If you have enough money to afford getting paid that little why not just sign up for the language classes yourself (probably cheap in China and you could select the schools based on which is best). Spend the rest of my time doing your own thing...it would be cool to Peace Corps or something like that.

This reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer starts Kramerica Inc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Vl01EqsJA

Thanks for the replies guys! Ya India was smelly, very undeveloped and just very unorganized. It had its pluses, people were very kind and the food was amazing, cultural history and all the sightseeing was purely amazing. In fact I was able to get into the Taj Mahal for free where foreigners usually pay 750 rupees to enter. I was lucky to have arrived during the anniversary of the maharajas death. ;) Nevertheless, India will remain a place I will only visit for tourism purposes. Who knows though, I never went further south than the Jaipur, also known as the Pink City, the capital of Rajasthan. Supposedly places like Mumbai (Bombay) and Bangalore are really nice... I for one never had any diarrhea problems with the food, but my international colleagues spent days in the toilet... lol..

Haha no Defacto, its only 2000 to 3000 RMB a month. ;) I know its DAMN low, you are probably thinking that I am mad! I have a chance to go move to Dubai to my parents and work for some petrochemical company and earn up to 3000 dollars a month plus benefits, but you know the money ain't really doing it for me. I have this dream to live and work in East Asia, so i need to follow my heart.

Anyways, I'm a recent graduate and I am really not picky, well not that I am, but I can't afford to be picky with my low experience, its really ok... My previous work experience is pretty much useless since I sort of want to switch to marketing. So at the moment I am just looking for an excuse to live in East Asia and at the same time gain experience before I start my MBA. Theres no better experience than International experience, and my only 4.5 months in India has proven that with the many internship offers I have received, 99% of which are not paid and which I definitely will decline.

Besides, its not like I will be totally broke, I have enough cash to back me up there with that low pay. Consider the 2000/3000 RMB as entertainment money! A rep a month! ;)

I think it's admirable that you're more interested in following your dream...personal development rather than career/financial development. So rare these days, most graduates are just interested in the money <_<. Most in your position would settle for the easy option and hang off mummy and daddy's coat-tails (as some do for ever) in Dubai, rather than strike out on their own. So for that alone, :tu:

I can't really advise on your choice as I've never been to China (ok well HK aside and it was a British colony at the time), but all I'll say is go for the place that is more attractive, culturually, spiritually, aesthetically....by all accounts (i.e Ken!) that is Shenzen. With the more comfortable package there included, I think it's an easy decision to make. Whatever, just enjoy it, you'll learn far more about life than a poxy MBA will ever teach you.