When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen sub owner fooled

UB7

So I went over to my local watchsmith today to have him take a stripped screw out of my andrews submariner and as soon as I walked in the first thing I noticed was a TT sub w/ blue dial on the wrist of this old fellow who was buying his wife a diamond...My watchsmith knows that I collect reps..So I commented and said "nice sub" and I hold mine up and he said "Thanks you too, I was thinking about getting the black SS version but I thought this 1 was a little cooler" and pointed to his wrist... I proceeded to hand it to him and he lays mine on his wrist side by side with his own and goes "I just might have to get this one too" ...Meanwhile my watchsmith has a big grin on his face, and so did I...We had this guy totally fooled and my watchsmith didn't say anything out of respect to me....Just thought that it was pretty funny considering my sub from andrew is BONE STOCK...Just goes to show you that an inexperienced eye couldn't tell the difference, EVEN THO HE HAD A GEN ONE ON HIS OWN WRIST, he still couldnt tell!! LOL!

Long story short, I LOVE REPS!

Dude, it's not just the inexperienced eye that can be fooled. My TT Sub and Noobmariner from Andrew has fooled an small independent AD. Also every jeweller I took my Daytona's into to get resized refused to do it because after handling it, they said they were real and weren't authorised to work on them. The moral of this story is that only trekkie rep anoraks like us pick up on the infinitesimal details.

Yes very true mentalist, BUT the guy had a real one on his wrist 4 inches from his face...Mabye its just that we know what to look for and the first thing we do is look for the imperfections, but I think when you have a real 1 side by side with a fake its quite easy to spot the differences...Guess not!

Thanks for posting the story of your experience. I always get a kick out of hearing these anecdotes.

But remember that survey after survey has shown (and my experience has consistently been) that Rolex owners know little or nothing about watches, in general, and even less about Rolex watches........at least beyond the one on their arm (and many owners are oblivious of everything but the brand name anyway). Most of these people have more money than sense and have about as much passion for mechanical watches as the average, hourly-waged clerk in a chain jewelry store has (none). While you & I are spending our time reading/writing & learning as much as we can about watches, most Rolex owners are busy making money and have little time to spend learning the tricks of the watchcollecting trade. Most reps will fool most gen owners and gen owners are notorious for identifying gens as reps. So, as a rule, the average Rolex owner is not a very good gauge of the quality of a rep. However, you know you have something truly unique when you get a thumbs-up from most of the people here or on TZ (note -- I do NOT recommend posting pics of rep watches on TZ!).

Great Story and Thanks for sharing it.....I bought my TT Sub and Newbie Sub from Andrew, so I feel even better about my purchases...

Which reminds me...I also bought the LV and the 16610 Noob from TTK a couple of weeks ago......will be fun to compare...Hope they come in soon!

Cheers,

rbscott :1a: