When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss Panerai PAM 111H starting to run too fast!

fj0

I got a Swiss Panerai 111H a couple of months ago from a member here, it has worked without any problems whatsoever until 2 days ago. Its running alot faster than it should.

About 9 mins faster in only 2 hours.

How do I fix this? Thanks for any help! :(

Cheers,

Mario

There are two probably causes for this, The most likely is the hair spring is tangled as a result of a sharp movement or impact. To fix this open the watch and gently (very gently) touch the hair spring with tweezer tips which will usually cause it to pop back into position. Don't do this yourself unless you know at least a little about what you're doing

Its also possible that the watch has been magnetized, fixing that will require a watchmaker with a demagnetizer, which most will have.

There are some other possible causes but those are the most likely.

Is there some way to see if its the hair spring? Where is it located if you look at the backside?

I'll try knocking it gently. If I need to open it, how do I do? Can any watchmaker do this?

Thanks, appreciate the help!

Woh fj0, if you don't know how to locate the hair spring or to open the watch, you better don't try. You'll mess up the watch :black_eye: , believe you me (I've been there... :bangin: )...

Cheers,

Volker

Dont think I wanna open the watch myself. :o

One thing thats interesting, I cant remember if its always been like this or not but:

The dial that you set the time with, it move a little back and forth without moving the dial, do you understand what I mean?

Like a steering wheel on a car, you can move it a little without the car turning. Is that normal?

This has happened a few times to me even with a few gens using this movement, if you are lucky you may not need to open the case, I would hold it with the movement facing you and give a few taps on the back of the case around at the top (12), This has worked for me at least a few times. The tap doesn't even have to be very hard.

This has happened a few times to me even with a few gens using this movement, if you are lucky you may not need to open the case, I would hold it with the movement facing you and give a few taps on the back of the case around at the top (12), This has worked for me at least a few times. The tap doesn't even have to be very hard.

Wow, seems to have worked, thanks alot! :D

Dont think I wanna open the watch myself. :o

One thing thats interesting, I cant remember if its always been like this or not but:

The dial that you set the time with, it move a little back and forth without moving the dial, do you understand what I mean?

Like a steering wheel on a car, you can move it a little without the car turning. Is that normal?

If i read correctly, the dial moves when you pull/push the crown during setting time? If that is so, you might need to tighten the screws that hold the movement to the case, it has 2 screws and 2 tabs. Its located near the outer ring of the movement. Hope this was your query.

Happened to me once or twice too.