When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rose gold in reps

Cosmo

Is the rose gold on the surface of our reps at all gold?

Is it ZrCN, TiCN or TiN coating? If it really is, it is a huge improvement over the conventional plating.

Has someone made gold test from a rose gold rep? If it is not gold, we can assume that it is some PVD coating. We have also red several experiences about the scratching resistance of rose gold reps, which strengths this assumption.

Personally, it is more important to me that the color do not wear out or peel off than it is really gold.

ON EDIT: The rose gold in our reps is mostly some kind of gold plating and varies in quaity from the OK to the "what, is this copper spray paint or something?" I do think PVD gold will be the standard before too long, though, a costs come down.

It'll be a tough search, but I remember a thread a while back in which a dealer posted that a rep was PVD but that it was the only one he knew about...can't remember which rep it was.

PVD would be far and away the best option since they could theoretically copy any shade of the wide vcariety of red/pink/rose gold blends gen manufactuers use. Gold plated watches have such a miniscule amount of gold that PVD's zero gold content makes no difference at all value-wise. In fact, the PVD watch would be worth more IMO because it would probably be more accurate and durable.

I have been very tempted myself (still are) about the rose gold HBB...but too scared to spend $$$ just to see the "gold" wear off... (sigh!)...

Why is PVD more resistant to wear, anyway?

Probably a good idea to use "What Is".... Google it!

With limited research I found-

PVD decorative coatings - Superior to traditional electroplated coatings

PVD ceramic coatings are a better to traditional electroplated coatings as they have superior hardness and wear resistance, do not discolour or tarnish, have reasonably high corrosion resistance and do not suffer under UV radiation.

PVD decorative coatings - Limitations

PVD coatings are by their nature very thin and provide no leveling effect and to reduce the cost in decorative applications the PVD coating deposited is usually even thinner, typically 0.3 microns. When PVD coatings are this thin they do not act as a corrosion barrier; therefore the PVD coating is applied on top of a corrosion resistant nickel or nickel / chromium electroplated coating. The PVD coating supplies the decorative wear resistant finish.

PVD decorative coatings - Colours

PVD coatings can be deposited with a wide colour range. Metals used as target material in decorative PVD processes are zirconium, titanium, chromium, titanium-aluminum alloys and niobium. Ceramic coatings are deposited to increase the hardness of the coating. This is achieved by introducing reactive gases during the deposition process. The most widely used reactive gases for decorative coatings are nitrogen and methane or

acetylene to produce metal-nitride, metal-carbide and metal-carbonitride films. Also oxygen can be used to produce oxides, oxinitrides, etc. The decorative coatings are produced in a certain colour range, depending on the metal-to-gas ratio in the coating and the structure of the coating. Both of these factors can be altered by changing the deposition parameters.

Zirconium is the most widely used target material for decorative coatings in sanitary and door hardware and other applications such as watch cases because of the relatively wide colour range that is possible, ZrCN for example can look exactly the same as gold if the composition is correct.

PVD decorative coatings - Process Control

The process parameters to deposit each colour are stored in software recipes with various different process steps. During the coating process all the relevant process parameters are continuously monitored and controlled by an automatic computer control system. As a result it is possible to achieve excellent coating quality reproducibility.

PVD decorative coatings - Computer controlled coating machines available

Computer controlled PVD coating systems offering high flexibility and reliability are available. Products made of brass, zinc and ABS will all look the same colour no matter when the coatings were deposited

And if I spent more than these few minutes, I could probably answer all your queries.

But maybe it would be better for you to get your own answers. It is not difficult on the 'net now!

I'm not being clever here, but I feel the 'net is such a wonderful research tool, I just wonder why people do not use it more often... then they can answer their own questions!

But hey... if you need to know something more, just ask, and I will try to find out. We all are never to old to learn something new.

Offshore