When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What the heck is a "monarch polfy"?

anton

Counterfeiting? Forget about counterfeiting and try a real-world example: Just imagine you were typesetting a Chinese restaurant menu. Could you proof it?

A) I'm allergic to MSG.

B ) Of course not! But then I'm not charging $390 to people just so I can misspell "Officinnne Panerai".

B ) Of course not! But then I'm not charging $390 to people just so I can misspell "Officinnne Panerai".

You're missing the point. The poor sap putting together the watch is not getting $390, he's getting a few cents. Oh, and bad spelings don't hurt sales, apparently. We still buy them.

Yes! I recall you posting that. We surmised they do it on purpose to keep one step ahead of Interpol, or the Swiss Watch muscle. ;)Also, do you remember your post when you were seeking Joshua's Tourbillon?
You know Victoria, I think it would be fun to make a thread displaying all of the blunders present on some watches photographed by the mega-dealers. You would think they would take pictures and display the absolute horological cream of the crop, but dozens of their showcases include images of clearly aesthetically and/or functionally defective watches. There is actually a $400 Breitling listed on one with the hour subdial hand slipping. Another one is of a Day-Date with rusted "rolex crown" emblem affixed to the face. I bought the watch regardless but, it arrived in perfect condition. I don't think it's the dealers like Joshua or Andrew who take these images, but I could be wrong. Something about the "close enough" factor just screams "china" all the way to me... Edited by Corgi

You're missing the point. The poor sap putting together the watch is not getting $390, he's getting a few cents. Oh, and bad spelings don't hurt sales, apparently. We still buy them.

Up to a point. Maybe newbies do, but I myself only recently turned down an IWC Cousteau Divers because Divers was misspelt.

I'm still a newbie, but not newbie enough to tolerate such a horrible error. It becomes an insult to one's intelligence, after a while.

And this is yet another reason why China will not catch up to the West, in quality control, for a good long while. There is a language barrier, of course. But the reason behind the whys are equally telling. No motivation. Sloppiness. And lack of concern if they're still selling.

That's not intelligent business practise, or acumen, either in the short or long run.

Something about the "close enough" factor just screams "china" all the way to me...

You see, Corgi. You just proved my last point in the above comment. The name has become synonymous with a lack of solidness. It's mass production at its worst.

Thankfully for the future of China, Japan used to have this PRECISE reputation of shoddiness: cheap goods produced in backrooms by sweaty men. From the 1950s to the 1970s, "Made in Japan" was a joke.

And look at them now.

P.S.: Yes, it would be interesting to produce these photos! I think it ties into the whole "glaring faults rep" which another member posted recently. :)