When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Randomised Serial Numbers

Victoria

How come certain marques or models of watches have randomised serial numbers on the casebacks, such as some Breitlings and IWCs? Why can't this be the case, say, with Panerai watches?

I presume someone has to take a mold of the casing and that's why they are all E0017/1950 (for some Fiddies), etc. -- but if it can be done with some, why not with the most popular models?

I would surely pay a premium if I had a random Panerai serial number for any of my watches. Wouldn't you?

Is this laziness on the part of the makers?

Anyway, I already own a PAM with a random/custom serial.....the 187.

There was a serial register thread on this gorgeously brutish watch a while back, way before your time VB. I believe it took about 30 or so before we threw up a duplicate. I think mine's G0222/1000 or something like that. But would I really care if everyone with a 187 had that serial? What do you think? 'Course not, I'd prefer a better '1000' colour on the dial much much more.

There just HAS to be a limit to the anal-retentiveness - I mean, I've seen guys discussing buying a gen bezel or HeV for their UPOs, :blink: I mean, seriously, get a life. A serial number? Ask yourself 'why does it matter?'. Who's going to know/call you out???

However I do feel sorry for the poor buggers that have the exact gen version of infamous rep serials, like H0117/1000 on the MM217 and Fiddy etc. How sorry? About this sorry >>> :lol: