When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

beautifying current MBW 16610

bklm1234

I found out I can't post to the Knowledge Base. Admin, pls move this tutorial there. Thanks.

"They don't make it like they used to" definitely applies to the new MBW. Sure it has a deeper rehaut but the rest has fallen behind the noobmariner. The old case MBW sub is really the best sub. Besides the deeper rehaut, the bezel is the main reason. I was so lucky to acquire one a while ago (which I haven't finished modding) and it's one of my most priced possession, next to my 2 correct hand stacks (GMT2 and EXP2). Look at the old case MBW sub bezel. The bezel lip, teeth shape, angle, and definition are dead on accurate.

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

But no more. They don't make them like that anymore.

The current MBW has teeth that are a little too long. The factory cut the teeth so deep they cut into the bezel lip. The lip became thin and uneven. Out of the factory, the bezel insert is often floating, not fully residing in the bezel bay. This tutorial is about how to improve and correct the look of a current MBW.

Before pictures. This MBW bezel insert was worked on but sloppily. Look the insert is floating. Besides you can observe the teeth cuts being deep into the bezel lip. Quite ugly.

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

I wrap 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper on a nail file to bring out the lip and sand down the teeth a little to reduce the deep cut

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

After sanding with the 600 grit wet/dry sand paper, I polish the teeth and lip using 30, 15, 9, 3, 2, 1 micron sandpaper and cap cod cloth. The result:

IMG_2307.jpg

Put a insert on to give some contrast to illustrate how the lip looks after the sanding.

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

The CGs also need work. The current MBW has uneven CGs, the top one is larger and longer, the bottom one is smaller and shorter. Besides trimming the inside (which is only needed for noobmariner), I have to do the outside of the top CG. Doing the outside is rather hard. You have to have very good eyes, let alone the skills to re-polish the outside to a mirror finish. Practise that on some cheap subs first.

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

Since I posted how to combine a JeweleryOutlet insert with a watchmaterial pearl, I'm not covering that here. One note to why JewelryOutlet insert? Because not only it has good numbers and shine, it's also thinner than for example the watchmaterial insert. So it's faster to thin it out.

The finished watch. CGs are trimmed and look pretty correct now.

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

watchmaterial pearl is always good and nearly as good as gen

IMG_2336.jpg

Insert is now recessed in the bezel. A must for a rollie. You can run your finger over the bezel lip and can feel it's higher than the insert.

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

Under real lighting condition, the bezel lips stand out like they are on the gen.

IMG_2349.jpg

IMG_2351.jpg

-bk

Very very impressive BK. Great tutorial and fantastic results. I also love your work on the Noobs. I had an MBW, and while it is nice - it was a little too wokky for me. I hope that the new SD that comes out is worthy of this type of treatment and attention.

Thanks for the inspiring pictures.

Once again, thanks for posting this here, much appreciated. These kind of do-it-yourself tutorials are excellent and valuable.

The dial looks fantastic, is it a Noobmariner dial?