When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

December AR Signup Thread

HauteHippie

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes sir, a new coating process... Future runs will as well. Details coming soon. Part of the story is available here: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;#entry360640

For the Jan run, this time, I'll be ready and will sync appointment with The Zigmeister to remove/strip old coating/ship crystal.

So please keep my name for 3 crystals.

hey chief,

interested in possibly 3 for january's run, looking forward to those pics of the new treatment!

dave

:victory:

No problem, D. I'm getting PMs about the run, and I can assure everyone that right after the new year I'll post a sign up thread for a new run.... I tried to take some pics of a sample crystal I had coated with the new process and couldn't find my camera equipment last night... it's packed up from a recent house move and I'm way behind on unpacking!

Anyhow, check out this reflectance curve for the new coating. The veritcal axis is the percentage of light reflected off the coated surface, and the horizontal axis spans the visible light spectrum. To put this in perspective, if you have my old coating on any of your crystals and thought that was good (which it was), then consider its reflectance curve is up around 1 (top of the graph) !!! So we're talking a big performance improvement and absolutely no lip/tooling marks too boot.... yea, I'm excited! :D:D

capture3ii2.jpg

That is indeed very exciting stuff! Congrats, Chieftang- that's an accomplishment to be proud of...I don't know if there's anything more advanced out there...?

I'm down for 2 crystals for the january run. I could potentially do one crystal (my MBK AP ROO) with this coating, and get the Pam done with K222 coating to do a comparison review. The only reason I'd consider doing that, is I believe K222 has someone who will strip the AR free of charge, and my Pam is single-side coated.

I believe K222 has someone who will strip the AR free of charge, and my Pam is single-side coated.

At $45 per crystal for the coating plus an optional $10 for stripping, I think the total cost is the same or less. :)

I'll post a new AR FAQ tomorrow, as well as January's sign up thread.

In the meantime, here's the pic of the sample... Excuse the poor hand-held photo. But I think it's good enough for the intended purpose. This crystal is resting on top of a noobmariner for the demo. you can verify that there actually IS a crystal there by observing the edges. ;) There is no light tent or lighting diffuser being used here, and the crystal is on a dining room table directly below a lit chandelier.....

AR_sample.jpg