When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO mods... what's possible?

yellomen

Hi guys,

I've already had 2 UPO's but both where shipped back to the dealer because the tube thread was crappy. The UPO is however still calling me ;)

So i wondered what mods can/have to be done to make it into a complete kickass rep. I was thinking about the next mods but i'd love to learn from your experience...

- genuine bezel + insert

- genuine crystal or maybe just an AR coating from Chieftang?

- dial... does it need improvement?

- does it take a genuine tube/crown (and can you order them)

Thanx for your input :D

I've heard the dial, bezel and crystal shouldn't be a problem on the UPO. I have heard nothing about the crowns and tubes. I bought the gen tubes and crowns (crown and he) from Ofrei and I'm hoping The Zigmeister can do something with it. I also bought the gen hands. If all goes as planned, the only thing that will stay rep on mines is the case and movement. I also have the gen bracelet.

IMO, save your money ordering gen parts like bezel, dial etc.

Crown/tube only perhaps if yours gets stripped although I hear it's not a straight swap even with a new tap, needs glue to hold tube in place, not ideal.

Dial - only visible eye difference is the gen has the newer Omega logo is sans serif/no 'feet', whereas the UPO has the different one with 'feet'. Other very slight but vital difference if you're thinking of buying up gen parts is the size/shape of date window which on the gen is a fraction too high - if you swapout to gen dial you have a problem with the datewheel showing where it shouldn't.

Bezel assembly - the UPO's is nigh on perfect - why waste money needlessly?

The only things I'd consider doing is get the crystal AR'd (I used k222's EU service - would recommend Yellomen since you're in NL) - perfect coating as good if not better than gen, and a gen rubber strap if you like the rubber. If bracelet, the rep is more than good enough. Here's mine with my two recommended mods...

picture5eb5.png

picture11sv0.png

IMO, save your money ordering gen parts like bezel, dial etc.

I totally agree. The UPO is a great rep 'out of the box' with the crown / tube being the only weak link. Fix this when it needs it - otherwise leave it alone. If you start buying gen dial, hands, bezel, insert etc you will spend a fair chunk of the price of a used gen and still have a rep. Don't forget that used Omegas can be bought at reasonable prices. IMO, in most cases buying a pile of gen parts is a pointless investment and is missing the whole point of having a rep.