When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5218/201A dial -

PAMman

In an attempt to create a limited run of a 100% accurate 5218/201A dial I have assembled all the necessary scans and measurements, including a genuine engraved dial. Does anyone have or have access to the skills of an engraver who could accurately engrave the digits and indicies onto a blank brass base dial?

All you would need is to find someone with a laser engraver. They are accurate to .001mm. Then you need a vector file to go off of. You can get that by scanning the dial you have and ORC the image or reverse engineer it. Then it would be trial and error for engraving depth. The hard part is going to be getting lume to the right color and the brass dials themsleves.

Laser engrave can make very very thin engrave(0.5mm) on the brass dial only.

It is not hard to make laser engrave on this dial.But it is imposisble to apply any lume onto these engraves as there is just no room for it.

Acid engrave can make deeper engrave than the laser engrave.But still no deep enough for the lume sitting like the gen.

The most proper way is to find someone who can make these engrave by CNC .

Good luck!

DSN's right - CNC is the way forwards. I'm getting a custom 6152 dial routed, engraved and hand finished at the moment - there are a limited number of people out there with the skills, it's a matter of searching for them - try contacting a number of people listed in local directories with CNC / routing / engraving capabilities. Unfortunately the guy who is working on mine is having difficulties working to such small tolerances and wouldn't do it again!!