When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob looking for buying tips

Terje

Any suggestions for who to buy from? I`m looking for a TT Submariner in the $200-$300 range. I noticed that Andrew (trustytime) has a new TT with 14K Gold Wrapped on Solid Stainless Steel on both case material and bracelet as opposed to Solid 316L Stainless Steel with 18K Gold thick plated (5 mils) on both on a slightly less costly version ($248 vs $288) another difference is that the $248 TT has a black Uni-directional bezel vs blue on the $288 model. Would that simply be a reflection of a newer GEN Rolex vs an older model or is one more correct than the other?

Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks.

Terje the noob:-)

Rolex makes two models- a blue TT and a black TT. As for 14kt vs 18kt- maybe you get what you pay for- maybe the expensive one is worth more. But as they say here- watch out for plated gold, it is prone to wearing thru. At least w/ ss, all you can do is scratch it- than polish out the scratches, or leave them- they're battle scars.

I have a tt tw best black dial came from River. It is in like new condition since i have not worn it outside of the house yet. Interested pm me.

I`m actually interested in a blue dial first of all. Sorry. I should have specified that.

I bought this watch from Josh...Here is the link.....TT Rolex .....I've never worn it and I've actually gotten away from Rolex, due to all the other watches I've bought and enjoy more....mainly for my wrist size, I like the look and feel of the larger watches....44mm and up....By all means I want to welcome you aboard, because it was just a short time ago, I was in the same position as you right now....I hate to even bring it up, but I plan on selling mine so feel free to pm me as well, if interested...I'm in the US....

Cheers and no matter what, have fun and read up.....it all depends on what you want.....and if you want the best out of the box or you want to mod....any dealer listed on this forum can take care of you....I've bought from just about all of them!

rbscott :D

This site sure is full of information. I`m impressed ...and a little overwhelmed. It looks like I might be best off doing some more research before I take the plunge. I`ve been in touch with Andrew who has suggested a modded version of his ROLSUB0016 with waterproofing and calibrations (by Watchsmith). What he calls the "perfect" Swiss ETA Submariner. Any thoughts?

Did you have a price in mind rbscott?

This site sure is full of information. I`m impressed ...and a little overwhelmed. It looks like I might be best off doing some more research before I take the plunge. I`ve been in touch with Andrew who has suggested a modded version of his ROLSUB0016 with waterproofing and calibrations (by Watchsmith). What he calls the "perfect" Swiss ETA Submariner. Any thoughts?

Did you have a price in mind rbscott?

You might want to check into the "waterproofing and calibrations (by Watchsmith)" that has been discussed here.

To some it was not worth it.

good luck