When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Old Gens

Emmzy

I've dug out a couple of my old gens and thought I'd give them some wrist time. The Omega is a quartz.....the bees knees at the time, interchanges with a rubber divers strap by removing the body of the watch with a retaining ring and then slipping it onto the rubber.

The Tag is automatic and a steady beater, my local watchsmith services her every 2 years......this watch will last into eternity but now seems so small!

Omega.jpg

TH.jpg

I like the Tag best.

Where did you buy them, and how much did they cost at the time? Sorry if that's indiscrete. :)

Nice pics, Emmzy! Awesome avatar, BTW.

Thanks V, where would we be now if not for the Caped Crusader?

The Omega was bought for about 2 hundred quid from the AD in Guildford and the TAG was my Salesperson of the year award, asked for a nice automatic watch and they got me this.....guess it cost around 500 quid about 12 years ago. Purchased in Southampton.

BTW always enjoy your posts, you are some collector!!!

Thanks V, where would we be now if not for the Caped Crusader?

BOOM! POW!! ;)

I've never even seen a re-run, but I feel I have because of Harvey Birdman, Attorney-At-Law.

The Omega was bought for about 2 hundred quid from the AD in Guildford and the TAG was my Salesperson of the year award, asked for a nice automatic watch and they got me this.....guess it cost around 500 quid about 12 years ago. Purchased in Southampton.

Excellent deal...even for a quartz! Nice award too. Do companies still give out a solid gold watch, these days, as they used to for retiring workers?

Well, white-collar workers anyway... :mellow:

BTW always enjoy your posts, you are some collector!!!

Oh thank you! That's a lovely thing to say. :)

Enjoy what is left of a (hopefully) peaceful Sunday, Emmzy!

The Omega cost 200 quid in 1982.....it was marked down in a sale but 200 smackers was still quite a lot for me in those days!

Companies in the UK still buy retirement watches. Was with a client last week sporting a white J. le C. Reserve de Marche, presented to him on his retirement from BP. What a lovely watch, I'm eyeing up a rep for myself right now........Andrew has an Asian example for only 98 of those US Dollars....just about to pull the trigger.

Wearing the gens does make you realise that reps are fun, and I love my reps, but the genuine article no matter how old still smacks of real quality.

I have the exact same Tag with the gray dial that was purchased brand spanking new in the early 90s. It was my first real watch and not inexpensive @ $500 plus tax.

Unfortunately, the watch flooded while diving and the movement & dial were damaged. All else is excellent and still have all the B&Ps. It was a terrific watch and a daily beater for around 10years before its demise.

Being a Heuer fan, I replaced it with an auto diver. I'll take better care of this one. :)

The Omega cost 200 quid in 1982.....it was marked down in a sale but 200 smackers was still quite a lot for me in those days!

I bet!

When I was growing up, 5 quid brought home SO many items from the grocers...now, I can't even buy a case of Britvic Orange with that. Scandalous.

Companies in the UK still buy retirement watches. Was with a client last week sporting a white J. le C. Reserve de Marche, presented to him on his retirement from BP. What a lovely watch, I'm eyeing up a rep for myself right now........Andrew has an Asian example for only 98 of those US Dollars....just about to pull the trigger.

That was almost the first rep I ever bought! Went with the Patek Sky Moon instead. ;)

I agree, fantastic deal, and Andrew's minus $100 watches are tremendously good deals. I encourage you to buy that JLC RdM.

Wearing the gens does make you realise that reps are fun, and I love my reps, but the genuine article no matter how old still smacks of real quality.

Yes...

Kruzer00 said it right. It's easier to wear a rep, when you have a gen (any gen) at home.

It's like treating yourself to a First-Class flight once in your life, especially on BA or Virgin. Once you have, taking Coach afterwards feels great.