When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Imperfections in crystal

jmt

Hi again. I have a sapphire crystal for one of my PAMs that looks like it has imperfections that can only be seen in bright sunlight. They look like specs of dust, but they aren't. I THINK that they are inside the crystal.

Any ideas? :g:

Are you absolutely sure it is sapphire? Imperfections that kind are more frequently seen on glass crystals. On ebay there was a seller who was selling glass crystals as sapphire, and his crystals also had those imperfections (no, he was not Jimmyzfu).

In any case, only solution is getting another crystal. Even if those imperfections are on the very surface, getting rid of them on sapphire is a nightmare, and on glass it's not worth the hassle. Sorry.

Yeah, nearly my all watches have that :)

But, they are not clearly visible under sunlight...

Under very bright sunlight and from a certain angle.

Or if you inspect watch under yellow desk lamp, you'll see from certain angle.

there is no way to avoid them.

And no, they are NOT under the sapphire, inside the watch... I first thought the sapphire is two layered and took it out to inspect... No they are single regular sapphires and have dust like thingies (very small and not as visible as regular dust) inside :)

no way to avoid. At least I couldn't find a way to clear them. :)

only good point. They are nearly invisible and under normal light there is no way to see them even you look for minutes :)

Yeah, nearly my all watches have that :)

But, they are not clearly visible under sunlight...

Under very bright sunlight and from a certain angle.

Or if you inspect watch under yellow desk lamp, you'll see from certain angle.

there is no way to avoid them.

And no, they are NOT under the sapphire, inside the watch... I first thought the sapphire is two layered and took it out to inspect... No they are single regular sapphires and have dust like thingies (very small and not as visible as regular dust) inside :)

no way to avoid. At least I couldn't find a way to clear them. :)

only good point. They are nearly invisible and under normal light there is no way to see them even you look for minutes :)

EXACTLY! I am sure it is sapphire (tap test, water test)-- or at least pretty sure-- and you've described my problem exactly. Not a huge big deal, but kind of annoying. I was wondering if AR coating or maybe a non-Chinese Sapphire might solve the problem...

jmt,

even my gen. Rolex Submariner has those mate... I don't think it is worth to mess with another sapphires.

And they are not visible under normal conditions, you must use strong yellow light to see them, (no way to see under normal light for me) so I wouldn't worry about it :)

Thanks, I won't. Funny... I have been looking closely at my gens-- a Carl F. Bucherer and an Ebel and they don't have it. Oh well... I am over it. :)