When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot Big Bang Ayrton Senna Watch

warbody

LOL...well, it could be Marlboro red from the Marlboro McLaren livery.

;)

I would be very interested in seeing the design background on just why they chose these colours, etc.

Anyone who has ever been to Brazil, or met a Brazilian knows the "canarinho" colours are a no-brainer. They adore their flag and their colours more than even Americans (and that's saying something).

But the red? I'm guessing this is a diplomatic gesture on the part of Hublot, as a tribute to his second "homeland", Monaco. Or just a Swiss stamp on a largely Brazilian hommage. Or, more plausibly, no other colour went with the matte black and yellow-green?

Wonder what football club he supported, and if that played a role. I hope it was the same as mine, o Tricolor, S

Yet another of your famous sweeping generalisations? ;)

A 'relatively' large percentage of these WILL be bought by Brazilians...

You know you love them.

The new market undoubtedly already includes many enthusiasts and (knowing) connoisseurs of the Big Bang's contemporary, sophisticated and distinctive design, as well as the refined quality of its manufacture in accordance with watchmaking tradition.

I've no doubt they were INTENDED for the Brazilian market. But whether or not rich Brazilians buy them, is another story. The newest rich people in Brazil now are drugs-traffickers. I don't see this bling being that popular amongst the favelados.

OTOH, 50 rich people in SP can easily afford this watch. Would be interesting if Nelson Piquet turns out to be one of them...

Oh, and a Steve McQueen Monaco runs at say $3000, a 007 SMP even less, the PN Daytona's are vintage....i.e. they all cater to to a totally different market to this HBB.

I'm sure you got that I meant they are often bought up by fans of the marque (more than the person it is in tribute), rather than just ordinary rich folk who can afford the hefty price of this watch.

We'll see, won't we, how it plays out.

You know you love them.

I've no doubt they were INTENDED for the Brazilian market. But whether or not rich Brazilians buy them, is another story. The newest rich people in Brazil now are drugs-traffickers. I don't see this bling being that popular amongst the favelados.

OTOH, 50 rich people in SP can easily afford this watch. Would be interesting if Nelson Piquet turns out to be one of them...

I'm sure you got that I meant they are often bought up by fans of the marque (more than the person it is in tribute), rather than just ordinary rich folk who can afford the hefty price of this watch.

We'll see, won't we, how it plays out.

Sure. although I'm betting those first 50 are already spoken for. Same demographic as European buyers probably.

Actually, in the case of Omega, fans of the marque steer well clear of the 007 versions - deemed tacky and a sell-out - even resale isn't enhanced due to the 'limited' editions of 5,000-10,000.

The watch is a Chronograph Split-Second with Power Reserve indicator in black with Ayrton Senna's signature in red and the Brazilian flag in green and yellow on the Split-Second hand which can be used to record an intermediate time by means of the two chronograph seconds hands. The push-piece on the watch is red. The watch is the first Hublot to go on sale in Brazil.

Remember this thread?

I just saw wristie pics!

FRONT

hbbasrl2.jpg

BACK

ayrtoniixt9.jpg

Thoughts: SOMEHOW the back isn't gaudy, though I personally think green/yellow shouldn't be seen together outside of baby vomit. But that's because we know the Brazilian flag colours, and it's so intertwined with the late man himself. Certainly, the caseback is much better than the tacky Top Gun one.

Overall, eh. I liked the pics Warbody posted better, since they were Photoshopped. :lol: