When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Please help me decide, Chopard Miglia GMT Chrono or Breitling Chronomat?

RageRover

I'd like a chronometer. I have narrowed my decision down to the Chopard Mille Miglia GMT chronograph and the Breitling Chronomat.

I had an IWC Ingie chrono for a while...Beautiful watch...but I had to send the watch back twice because of the movement. I ended up trading it in for a Breitling SFSO.

I swore off buying an (Asian Valjoux) chrono after that...but I believe the problem had to do with the fact that the IWC uses an additional module above the movement to change the subdial layout (like the Omega SO chrono, Rolex Daytona, and IWC Portugueser chrono).

So...since the Breitling and Chopard use a "standard" 7750 (no module, no extra gears) I'm thinking (hoping actually) that both are reliable?

From what I have read and seen in pictures, both are extremely good reps. Both cases look beautiful. Both are very close, with few flaws. Basically, both have the typical flaws, such as a bad date wheel or a font here and there that is slightly off or needing a bit of lume. All are flaws I can live with or possibly fix with a work.

I think the chances of being called out on either watch is slim!

Basically, the only thing that scares me is the movement!

Overall, what are your opinions?

Do you have a watch with an Asian Valjoux? Has it been reliable?

If there are other chronos you think I should consider, let me know!

All comments or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

i have 5 watches with that movement and they all work very well. some i have since 2-3 years without a problem. one of them came with a problem but i shipped it back to the seller for an exchange. i owned a breitling chronomat and i loved it, just sold it to buy another one with a different dial color. so that would be my choice.

I have three Asian 7750 watches, and one is the Chopard Mille Miglia GMT and a second is the Evo. I haven't had a problem with the movement on any of the three, but I have higher confidence in the Chopard and Evo movements than the one other 7750 that I own, which is an IWC GST. It's not that there is anything wrong with the GST... so far.... except that the winding stem seems rather loose on that one. In any case, it is going for service soon because I really like the GST as well and want to have it for a long time.

But back to the Evo and Miglia GMT. At first I was very reluctant to buy the Chopard because it has the added complication of a GMT function, which is something to consider when 7750s have a spotty history to begin with. But damn, it's a gorgeous watch, so I took a chance and I couldn't be happier that I did. The movement itself feels rock solid, keeps great time, and has one of the best power reserves of any of my watches. It's one flaw, which I want to have fixed soon, is that the crystal needs to be realigned so that the cyclops is more perfectly centered over the date window.

The Evo feels really good as well, but there is a bit of looseness in the winding stem -- not as much as on the GST, but it's still there. I plan to have it serviced in the near future, because I really like the Evo as well. It's a solid, fantastic watch with very good AR.

From a looks standpoint, both are knockouts. I have the white dial Chopard with black subdials, but all variants are among the most stunning reps available, in my opinion. I was also tempted by the gold dial version, but I really wanted the metal bracelet and the gold dial version only comes with a leather strap.

I got the gray dial Evo (the earlier gray dial version which looked more like the graphite dial than a genuine gray, but I don't really care because I still like it a lot). Whether you go with the white, graphite, blue, or gray dial versions, this watch always looks better on a leather strap, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the Evo bracelet is excellent, but I keep putting this watch back on a leather strap. It's classier, in my opinion.

So the choice of which is better (let alone which dial combination to go with) ends up being fairly subjective. In my case, I'd vote for the Chopard, because I think it is simply one of the very top two or three styles, because I prefer bracelets to straps, and because I love GMT functions even more than chrono functions. Perhaps if I had it to do over again, I would go for one of the SS variants of the Chopard (I'd probably stick with the white dial/black subdial version that I have) and a two-tone Evo, which I think would look fantastic with either a two-tone bracelet or a leather strap.

For you, go with your gut opinion.... or get one of each. In your heart, do you prefer the Evo styling or the Chopard? Do you lean toward leather straps or bracelets, and how do you size up the bracelets that come with each? SS or two tone?

I will end with this thought: I think you will be getting a great rep no matter how you sort out these options.

Cheers (pour yourself a scotch to savor while you make your decision), and good luck.

I have the Chopard. It IS a beautiful rep, as you say, with the usual (but minor) flaws. But, although I have had it since July, I still haven't been able to wear it. MINE came without a c-clamp for one of the pushers, so I had to send it to The Zigmeister. He's had it a week or so. Reports that the main spring was all bent (MAYBE my local watch smith who put on the new c-clamp did that???) and had some other mystery problems that Rob eventually traced to some problems with QC at the factory. Seems that he's got it working (fingers crossed) and I can't wait to get it back. Not a great start, but I am am still optimistic... :whistling:

Thanks for the all the feedback! Its greatly appreciated!

jkerouac, you read my mind! The Chopard I plan I getting would be the white dial, with black subdials. I'm not a bracelet person. I prefer leather straps actually. My Seiko "Black Monster" is currently on its bracelet, but only becasue my gf said the NATO strap and thus my wrist smelled! LOL

So, the Chopard would go on a black leather strap. In fact, I plan on getting a Heuer-type "racing" leather straps with the large holes punched in it. Similar to the Chopard leather strap (see pic, which I found through Google). I think the Heuer Carrera type, with the small holes can also look good.

Delta, your Breitling is beautiful. And its still tempting me! But I think because I have a Bretiling SFSO I want to try a different brand. Although the Chronomat and SFSO are different watches, they both have Bretling's trademark bezel. So I think I'll go with the Chopard first.

Assuming all goes well and no major problems, I'm sure I'll end up adding a Chronomat to my collection too. I'm hesitant to order two watches at once.

JMT, sorry to hear about your problems. I know how annoying it is. I had my IWC Ingie for one day before it stopped and had to send it back for repair. Weeks later, when I got it back, it stopped again after about 24 hours. I loved the watch, loved the design. Felt very comfortable and looked 99% genuine. But after sending it back twice and wearing it for not even 48hrs total, I swore off rep chronos. I think the whole ordeal took over 4 months.

I guess after a certain point there is a lot of luck when it comes to reps? Although I feel that sticking with an ETA movement increases your chances of having a reliable watch.

I did forget that the Chopard has the added GMT function. But I guess I'm willing to risk it. I don't think the GMT function adds any considerable extra stress to the movement.

When I do go for the Breitling, I have my eye on a Gray dial.

post-3363-1193206010_thumb.jpg

post-3363-1193206307_thumb.jpg

One other point to consider: the Chopard does not appear to have any AR. It's a busy dial, so you will likely see a fair amount of reflections.

The Evo is known as one of the reps with the best AR.

I was thinking a bit more about the comparison of these two watches last night. I decided that for me, the difference comes down to this:

The Chopard is a sporty watch that is also elegant.

The Evo is an elegant watch that is also sporty.

I think a lot of people will make their choice based on which characteristic is most important, and which is secondary.

AR can always be added if it really does annoy you. There are several opticians near me, one is a family friend. I'm sure it doesnt cost much to have a crystal coated. Maybe $20? I'll inquire.

I don't have the knowledge or tools to start taking a watch apart, but I guess with reps, sometimes it needs to be done if you want a perfect watch? Its not something I want to do...I'd prefer a watch that is perfect out of the box.

It seems that if I get an AR coating, I'd have to pay my watchmaker a pretty penny to take the watch apart...then put it together. I can probably take the movement out. But I don't have a crystal press.

How is the crystal? is is mineral or sapphire? is the cyclops the correct magnification?

I've been looking at pics last night of the Choppard...its difficult for me to find any flaws. The only thing I can really think of, is that the font which says "GMT" on the dial is a bit off. But not by much. Date looks good, as does the rest of the dial.

Are the hands correct? they sometimes look blue in pics of the gen. The shape looks good on the rep though.

I never considered AR much...most of my watches (many which are gen) do not have it. And like I said before, its not a major problem to add and AR coating.

I think I'm going to have to make a trip to Tourneau to take a look at both watches.

JMT, sorry to hear about your problems. I know how annoying it is. I had my IWC Ingie for one day before it stopped and had to send it back for repair. Weeks later, when I got it back, it stopped again after about 24 hours. I loved the watch, loved the design. Felt very comfortable and looked 99% genuine. But after sending it back twice and wearing it for not even 48hrs total, I swore off rep chronos. I think the whole ordeal took over 4 months.

I did forget that the Chopard has the added GMT function. But I guess I'm willing to risk it. I don't think the GMT function adds any considerable extra stress to the movement.

Thanks... I am sure it will work out ok. In a strange way, the hastles are the fun of this hobby! I got this one (my first Asian movement) because of The Zigmeister's review a while back saying that the new 7750s were of very good quality once serviced...

BTW, The Zigmeister says mine is fixed, and that the GMT doesn't add any additional stress to the movement... extra gear is not a big deal...

CHOPWR.jpg

CHOPWR_1.jpg

I hope these pictures help. Like many said before me the chopard is by far the most unappreciated watch on the forums. Trust me coming from a collector, no I am not looking for your business or trying to sell you a watch there are many other great dealers that can do that, I have had many of these watches in my hands. The chopard is better built than the BCE. Don't get me wrong the BCE is a helluva watch, especially the graphite dial, but not as 'solid' as the gmt.

Like many have said before me. Just my opinion. Want something blingy?

ChopardGMTRG.jpg

Refined

ChopardGMTBD0.jpg

Lume Shot

Chopard-GMT-BD-6.jpg

And of course, I have owned all three models and this one gets the most wrist time and personal enjoyment.

Hope that helps.

ChopardGMTWD0.jpg

@ Coolfire:

Can you pls tell us how is the AR on your Chopard GMT ??? From the pic (hard to tell) it seems that it does not have any AR.

Both Jkerouac and I (both panda versions) we got no AR on our Chops GMTs. :thumbdown:

This actually comes with single (inner)- sided AR, mate... It's pretty difficult to "capture" the AR because of the crystal profile, which is really curvy and all... i'll be getting this double-AR'd with k2222 pretty soon, though... ;)

...And as waht TWP mentioned, this GMT is really one of the most underrated watches around... Solidly built, and really beautiful.... :wub: :wub:

This actually comes with single (inner)- sided AR, mate... It's pretty difficult to "capture" the AR because of the crystal profile, which is really curvy and all... i'll be getting this double-AR'd with k2222 pretty soon, though... ;)

...And as waht TWP mentioned, this GMT is really one of the most underrated watches around... Solidly built, and really beautiful.... :wub::wub:

Then there is something that I dont understand.

All Chop GMTs are made by one and the same manufacturer and that is confirmed.

On mine (panda dial) I can hardly see any AR ... and yes I do get reflections.

Comparing my Chop GMT to my single AR UPO 2824 , the UPO has much , much better AR.

So , do we have a case here where the UPO has true AR and the Cho GMT has "light" AR ???

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine back from The Zigmeister... running perfectly and I am really happy to have it back as a change from all the PAMs. Put it on a black carbon fiber strap with white stitching, which, IMHO, is perfect for the Panda dial version. Here are some pics (sorry about the so-so (read: bad) quality-- first try at watch photos and ambient light only...

post-6812-1194102752_thumb.jpg

post-6812-1194102764_thumb.jpg

post-6812-1194102772_thumb.jpg

post-6812-1194102842_thumb.jpg

post-6812-1194102956_thumb.jpg