When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacement markers for 187?

anton

I've recently received a 187 rom a fellow member here through a trade and it is one beautiful watch...except that it needed a little refinishing. When I received it, I saw that there were some "war scars" there due to some desk diving, and I wanted to restore that "circular grain/brush pattern"; and also to polish the bezel markers without polishing the rest of the bezel. Unfortunately, My attempts at removing the bezel have come at the expense of a "snapped in half" kinfe and a chipped flathead screwdriver.

Then I also noticed that through my polishing process, all the markers became polished excet for the one at "20". Is was a dullish grey in color. So my continued foibles with the dremel tool told me to go faster, @ 35,000rpm. Then I saw that thing go down and down until it was all gone.

DSC00437.jpg

That's the after photo. Notice the marker missing? I think the prevoius owner must have lost his marker so he used something to fill it in. My father used to use it in his welding projects, but I can't get the name; help! if you know it.

So thus far, I have been wearing it like this to minimize suspicion:

DSC00434.jpg and the marker in question is covered by a sleeve.

If you've also noticed, the plastic cover on the bezel pearl is cracked. I am painting over it with luminous paint. As far as the markers go, I'm mulling over getting replacements or removing all of them and painting the holes black, like on the other subs.

What do you think? And how do I get the rest of them off? I put my watch in a pot of boiling water for five minutes but it seems that the adhesive is very strong!

I have a set of markers (unfortunately only one oval) and one missing on my 187. I tried to glue the marker with JB Weld, a metal epoxy, and it didn't work. Metalset A4 is supposed to be a good product per Rob (The Zigmeister).

The missing marker doesn't really bother me too much. Many owners of gen 187s have missing markers too. They are white gold and about $60 a piece. Skip it.

I do think you went a little overboard on your refinishing project!

BTW- your date font/window looks very good for a 7750 based 187.

Great watch :thumbs:

okay, I admit that I screwed up. But I will post better photos soon.if you think it looks bad now, it looked like CRAP when I got it. So this is a work in progress. It truly does look better in the flesh, like my wife.

Esteban, did you say you had spare markers?

Well.....ifyou think that looks better in the flesh....I'm dreading seeing her in the flesh.....if you must post a photo....keep her covered up....or is that the spectre of her looming over us in your avatar.....:blink:

Well.....ifyou think that looks better in the flesh....I'm dreading seeing her in the flesh.....if you must post a photo....keep her covered up....or is that the spectre of her looming over us in your avatar.....:blink:

Hey, nice joke. That's about as funny as your overusage of ellipses.

I won't go into the use of 'ellipses' again ...it's all been covered before.....but it ain't as funny as your lack of mechanical ability....and taste in avatars,,,,,, :lol:

PS....note the use of commas above just to bring a little light relief....give my regards to Philippa...!

BTW....there's no 'overusage'of ellipses.....I use only as many or as few as I feel I need to.....but it's qute charming to hear that they makeyou giggle.....in a kinda childlike way.... :D

Edited by TTK

I won't go into the use of 'ellipses' again ...it's all been covered before.....but it ain't as funny as your lack of mechanical ability....and taste in avatars,,,,,, :lol:

PS....note the use of commas above just to bring a little light relief....give my regards to Philippa...!

BTW....there's no 'overusage'of ellipses.....I use only as many or as few as I feel I need to.....but it's qute charming to hear that they makeyou giggle.....in a kinda childlike way.... :D

Hey, we've all gotta learn somewhere, right? I trashed all my PAMs as modding projects. 202 Slytech... dinged that mother up then took out the bezel pearl, 212...modded the CG, then made a lug screw stuck to the case...

Yeah, so I admit I have a lack of mechanical ability. But what else can I test them on? A $300 rep doesn't even come CLOSE to the quality of the quality of the $11K gen. So at least it's better to take on a $300 loss than an $11K loss.

And as I end on that note, I trashed a Gen Link Chrono with one of my "mechanical projects" that went awry. Let's just say I went "brush-crazy". ^_^

Many years ago......one of my salesmen came into the office back from 2 weeks holiday.....wearing the most Godawful suit ever.....I asked him.....:who made that suit".....?.....he looked at it immediately and asked......'why' ?......'that was my next question'...... I replied"....!

Why...?

And each to their own.....!

Edited by TTK

You have to posess a sense of humour when you have Phil Spector as your avatar....!

BTW...dun appreciate Dennis Miller much nowadays....Jon Stewart is OK..... ( is he related to French Stewart ,...there's a likeness)....!

Anyone watch Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld....priceless....:lol:

You have to posess a sense of humour when you have Phil Spector as your avatar....!

BTW...dun appreciate Dennis Miller much nowadays....Jon Stewart is OK..... ( is he related to French Stewart ,...there's a likeness)....!

Anyone watch Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld....priceless....:lol:

Jon Stewart's name is "Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz". don't think anyone would watch "The Daily Show with Jon Leibowitz," huh?

and what's the deal with French Stewart? didn't anyone tell him that he'll go blind if he constantly squints like that?

Jon Stewart's name is "Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz". don't think anyone would watch "The Daily Show with Jon Leibowitz," huh?

and what's the deal with French Stewart? didn't anyone tell him that he'll go blind if he constantly squints like that?

I don't think you need a new watch. I would certainly have the bezel professionally rebrushed and then polish the markers as smooth as possible and have them replated in rhodium to match the OEM's white gold. The plating can probably be done for $20. I don't know what a professional rebrush would cost, but to be completely honest, I wouldn't wear the watch as is so I guess I'd consider $100 for a rebrush a savings over buying a new watch.

So, I've taken all your suggestions, and currently I'm looking for a new bezel pearl. Of green paint will just cover it up. Once Chief's AR project goes underway, then I'll send my crystal over.

Thank you, Esteban for the markers. I've filled the oval, and here's an updated pic:

DSC02312.jpg

So, I've taken all your suggestions, and currently I'm looking for a new bezel pearl. Of green paint will just cover it up. Once Chief's AR project goes underway, then I'll send my crystal over.

Thank you, Esteban for the markers. I've filled the oval, and here's an updated pic:

DSC02312.jpg

Not a problem. Looks much better. The 187 is under appreciated in my estimation.

BTW--I hope I don't loose any more markers. One doesn't bother me, but any more and I may have to buy some back :rolleyes: